My surgeon says no CPAP for six weeks after surgery!

Kathleen W.
on 1/16/11 11:02 am - Lancaster, PA
My surgeon told me bring mine.  Unless your surgeon is also a pulminologist,  bring your cpap.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

MommaSyn
on 3/31/11 2:16 pm - Cook, MN
I would say VERY stressful. I had my surgery just a couple weeks ago and my surgeon never said to take it off. As a matter of fact he encouraged me to keep it on until my first visit with him and then see how it was going. No ingested air here. Maybe that someone was using their machine wrong. I have been on mine since 1995, and I know where you are coming from. I can't imagine a nap without mine!!!! Keep me posted!!!

Cindy
    Cindy Prior AKA Momma Syn                                                 
MommaSyn
on 4/1/11 2:45 am - Cook, MN
I thought about this as I went to sleep last night. The person he had probelms with probably had a mask that covered the mouth as well as the nose. The mask my have made a difference especially if they did not use the chin strap. Some people need that strap no matter what mask they use. I grind my teeth at night and clench them during sleeping so a chin strap is not necessary. Be careful. Use your mask and if necessary your chin strap.
    Cindy Prior AKA Momma Syn                                                 
llLou
on 5/7/13 11:36 am - Halifax NS, Canada

I had VSG surgery and took and used mine in the hospital and of course i continue to use it. no problems.

Mandalious
on 10/10/13 1:32 pm - Canada
RNY on 12/03/13
That's strange.
I was told I wouldnt be able to have my surgery unless I brought my machine w me to the hospital so recovery nurses can make sure it on me once I'm out of surgery.
I am in Canada and things seems to be done different up here with our baractic programs.
Double check, don't understand their possible reasoning for it

Referral May 17 '13 / Orientation June 17 '13 / Meeting w Dr Hagen June 26 '13 / RN,RD,SW July 31 '13 / Dr.Glazer Sept 3 '13/ Sleep Study Sept 5 '13 /2nd app w Dr Hagen Sept 16 '13 / F/U w  Dr Glazer  Sept 23 '13 / PRATTS Nov 14 '13/ Surgery Dec 3rd '13

4jessie
on 4/1/14 1:56 pm

I was told that being on pain meds without my CPAP is very dangerous! MY doc said I could literally stop breathing and that would be it. I can't believe they would say no CPAP. I would have to challenge that!

Surgery Day 3/20/14 Dr. Peter Billing

Pre-Op 336, Day of Surgery 322, Current Weight 250 (1/1/15) 86 lbs lost

Luvs2Cruise
on 4/1/14 3:34 pm
VSG on 10/30/13

What a bunch of horse pucky!  So, it is better to have you potentially stop breathing and die, than use your machine correctly.  I would call your Sleep Apnea Dr and let them know what the situation is.  Have them ha**** out with the surgeon. I had a surgeon once tell me that I couldn't use my BiPap machine post surgery for a period of time.  I called my Dr (a pulmonologist) who treats me for sleep apnea and they immediately called the surgeons office and spoke to the surgeon.  Basically, he was told under no cir****tances was I to go without my machine.  Lo and behold, I got a phone call later telling me there seemed to have been a mix up and of course I was expected to use my machine post surgery.  That it was imperative for my health to continue using it.  Go figure. 

As far as not needing the machine after 6 weeks, while I have had significant changes, I am not allowed to come off my machine without another sleep study to support the diagnosis for the need of non-machine intervention.  My insurance won't cover another sleep study until I am a full year out from surgery. 

VSG on 10/30/13 Surgeon: Erik Throop    "There are plenty of difficult obstacles in your path. Don't allow yourself to become one of them." ~ Ralph Marston

HW: 447 YIKES!!!! SW: 293  CW: 140 GW:140?  100% on Plan -100% of the time!!!

Losses by Months: (5' 1") WL Pre-Op-154  M1-28​, M2-12, M3-18, M4-15, M5-14.5, M6-13.5, M7-10, M8-13, M9-14, M10-10, M11-1 (What the heck??)  M12-4as of today's date     

SugarGrl
on 1/23/11 3:38 am
I had a sleep test (2nd one) Friday night. I'm very sad I have sleep apnea. It was totally unexpected. Now another delay waiting for a machine. Wish me luck, I see the cardiologist tomorrow to get those results.
Most Active