VSG or RNY

OldMedic
on 5/28/09 1:04 am - Alvaton, KY
The ONLY way it can fail is iof YOU do not do your part.

There are people that have this surgery and simply refuse to follow their diet plan.  They eat all of the wrong foods, force themselves to overeat, and sabotage their sleeve, big time.  Of course, they should never have been approved for surgery in the first place, but ????

There are essentially two significant possible complications.  A leak, which means that the stomach contents are leaking into the abdomwn, and strictures.

A leak is a very serious complication, and it must be dealt with immediately.  Depending on where it is and how big it is, it may be dealt with through running an instrument down your throat to your stomach, or surgery may be required.  Competent surgeons have a leak rate of well below 1%.

Strictures are where the sides of the stomach (or intestine, but that is VERY rare with a sleeve) sticjk together.  this is dealth with by running a tube down your throat to the stomach, and pushing the walls apart again.  Strictures of the intestines would have happened, whether or not you had the sleeve, but of course most patients don't see it that way.  In VERY severe cases, strictures may require urgery.  Once again, these happen in much less than 1% of the patients.

The biggest danger is if you have your surgery in a foreign country, and develop a problem after you return home.  Many regular doctors are not familiar with the symptoms of a leak, and you can get into serious trouble before they realize what is going on.  That's what happened to one woman on these boards.  She spent months in the hospital, and came close to dying.

The final complication that people have to worry about is death.  Death can happen with ANY surgery, even tonsilectomies.  The death rate for the VSG is comparable to that with any other major surgery.  it is generally less than 1% of patients, and with experienced surgeons, much less than 1%.  In my program, as an example, it is 1 tenth of one percent!

The higher your weight, and the more co-morbidities you have (such as sleep apnea, diabetes, hypertensions, etc.) the greater the risk of death.  BUT, if you don't have the weight loss surgery, your probability of death is MUCH, MUCH higher.

I have never read anything (and I have read literally thousands of pages of medical journals on weight loss surgery) about any patient that ever needed their removed portion of their stomach back.  In any case, it is gone, permanently, and it can't be restored.  If absolutely necessary, surgeons can fashion a "substitute stomach" out of intestine, which they do in advanced cancer patients, etc.

You can make yourself crazy with the what ifs.  I researched all forms of weight loss surgery for over 5 years before I had it done.  I used university libraries, medical libraries, spoke with many surgeons, did a ton of research on the net, etc.  The vertical sleeve gastrectomy is safe, and it works.

What more could you ask?

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views