NSAIDS and the Sleeve?

180lberstuckinside
on 2/7/11 5:35 am - Cumming, GA
Actually, excessive use of NSAIDS has been reported to contribute to peptic ulcers.  I think the Dr.'s reasoning is that now with the smaller stomach surface area, those of use with tiny tummies are more prone to the effects of the NSAIDS and could be at higher risk for ulcers.

But, we each have our own trusted medical practitioners, and the opinions may vary.

http://www.medicinenet.com/nonsteroidal_anti-inflammatory_dr ugs_and_ulcers/article.htm

Chad
abejita
on 2/7/11 9:53 am - dallas, TX
The reason why people with RNY cannot take nsaids is not due to malabsorbtion. It is because the nsaids reduce the protective lining of the stomach and make the user more suseptable to ulcers. Their blind stomac cannot be scoped to look for ulcers, making the risk of taking nsaids too high. Nothing to do with malabsorbtion, but anatomy.

mary

I'm 5'4"      SW 220 / CW 130 / GW 115
Time4menow2010
on 2/7/11 5:33 am - PA
My surgeon doesnt like NSAIDS either regardless of type of surgery you have. I use a Fentanyl patch now.
Zee Starrlite
on 2/7/11 5:57 am
Wow, you must have a very serious painful condition.  The first time I heard of Fentanyl was on "Intervention".  It seems lots of people get addicted to it.  It's a synthetic Opiate that is said to be 100x's more potent than Morphine .

I am sorry that you are in so much pain that you require this treatment.  I can't imagine how that sucks!

I know NSAIDS can cause issues even on a virgin stomachs, but for me it saved me when I had my knee injury.  Now I have a episodic arthritic condition - I think?

Thanks for the info.

Best,
Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Time4menow2010
on 2/7/11 6:10 am - PA
well without getting into all the gory details...I have multiple pain issues, severe osteo arthritis in both knees and feet, an L4/L5 compression in my spine and chronic achilles pain from a rupture 2 yrs ago.   I tried everything and this is the only thing that works that isnt an NSAID.  when I did take Ibuprofen I took 2400-3000mgs a day along with 300mgs of ultram and it kept me at about a 4 or 5 on a scale of 10 for pain.  One pat ch keeps me  in less pain now and Im on a low dose.  It also helps because I dont have rebound pain like I used to get if I forgot to take the pills on time...

It might not be for everyone...but it has been a lifesaver for me.
:

Zee Starrlite
on 2/7/11 6:14 am
wow, again I am sorry.  Pain sucks!  I am glad though that this works for you.  You should not be in pain.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

laurak712
on 2/7/11 5:53 am - New Braunfels, TX
I've been taking them since I was 4 weeks out and I am now over 2 years out and have had no issues.  I take Ibuprofen almost daily.

Laura

Height 5' 7

OldMedic
on 2/7/11 6:05 am - Alvaton, KY
I take 800mg of Motrin (Ibuprophen), 3 times a day (this is a prescription), with no problems at all.  I was cleared to resume that medication within one week after surgery, because it was a "medical necessity".

Generally, there are absolutely no restrictions on medications with the sleeve.  You have a completely normally functioning stomach (it's just a LOT smaller than it was), and since nothing is rearranged, there is no reason NOT to be able to take medications.

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

Still Fawn
on 2/7/11 6:09 am - SIERRA MADRE, CA
I was told they are not very good for anyone's stomach- if overused, but are perfectly ok for sleevers to take in moderation... just like people without altered stomachs.

I am still loving life with my sleeve! Been maintaining at or below goal for over 4 years!
"People spend a lifetime searching for happiness; looking for peace. They chase idle dreams, addictions, religions, even other people, hoping to fill the emptiness that plagues them. The irony is the only place they ever needed to search was within."   - Ramona L. Anderson

Silverspoke
on 2/7/11 6:12 am - southaven, MS
 My doc said nsaids are fine. I take them regularly.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views