Difficult decision

The_Chungs
on 8/27/11 7:09 am
All I can tell you is that pre-op I had pretty bad reflux for at least 2-3 years.  I had the coughing situation, just as you described, but I just kept downing Tums, which I now know is terrible.  My surgeon wrote on my paperwork that I had GERD based on the information I gave during my visits.  I had a VSG almost four weeks ago and take a prilosec every morning and I'm fine - no reflux, no coughing.

I wish you the best of luck with your decision!!

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -  Confucius  
Height:  5'10  HW:  400  SW:  374.6  GW:  160    

Lori B.
on 8/27/11 10:24 am
Please go lurk on the rny board. I commonly see complaints that reflux started after the surgery or did not cure gerd either. So it's a tough decision. I had severe gerd before and still have it but it's totally controlled and I'm over a year out.

I wish you the best of luck.

~Lori
~Lori

HW 286.5   GW 155   CW 153
Hislady
on 8/27/11 11:43 am - Vancouver, WA
From what I've read here it can go either way, get worse or go away but you just don't know until it's over. I have COPD, a lung disease, so I have a pretty constant cough but there are several cough remedies that work for me from over the counter Robitusin to prescription tessalon perle which is a nice small easy to swallow pill. I think I would go with the VSG and then work with the cough when and if it appears. Good luck to you!
wert
on 8/28/11 6:18 pm - MN
Before surgery I was told VSG probably would make my GERD worse. I was scoped for one of my pre-surgery tests to see if my GERD had eroded anything down there. All clear - didn't find anything. Low and behold, my surgon found and repaired a hiatal hernia when he did my sleeve. Now I seldom have GERD. I almost never take my RX for it. 

I love my sleeve. With the sleeve you'll have a complete digestive system, from top to bottom, just like you do now. The only difference between me and you is I have a teeny tiny tummy. And no hernia.

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 149 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 422 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 442 views