less than 72 hours!!! I have some questions!!

cozmo98
on 12/26/11 7:23 am - GA
Post Date: 12/26/11 3:22 pm
1) I was not hungry or thirsty in the hospital but they brought me SF popsicles and water that they wanted me to have and I had no problem with it
2) my sugery was at 7am, I left hospital at 7pm to go home
3) I got up and walked as soon as I got out of recovery and to my room---no problems!
4) I was off work 6 weeks, only because I work in a hospital and they didn't want me lifting more than 25 lbs which is impossible working in a hospital
5) 1...no pain, didn't use any of the pain meds they gave me...was sore but not in pain
6) some days it does and other days I'm hungry all the time; however, I'm full after a few bites. Cravings for me have slowly gone away just because I'm so happy to see the scale moving and I track all my food on myfitnesspal.com so I rarely cheat. However if I have a craving I fix it with a mini (snack size) cany bar vs a normal size one

Good luck! best thing I ever did!

Tay28
on 12/26/11 10:10 am
Hi. I'm 9 months out (and have lost 99.2 pounds and gone down 6 clothes sizes!) and wanted to wish you luck.

Between the IV, ice chips, and clear liquids, I was never thirsty while in the hospital.

I stayed two nights, but that was mainly because I had an adverse reaction to the pain medication and threw up a few times. I didn't feel comfortable going home while there was a chance I might throw up.

My surgery was at 9 in the morning and I was up walking by 7 that night. I work from home, and took a week off. If I had a job that required me to do a lot of walking/moving, I might have taken another week.

The pain was minimal--the most it ever was was probably a 2. In fact, I was expecting it to be much worse than it was. More than anything, I was so, so exhausted the first few weeks.

Every now and then I feel hungry, but that's because I've not eaten enough throughout the day. I don't really have a lot of cravings, but I also don't deny myself much (within reason). If I want a square of dark chocolate or a handful of potato chips, I will have them, as long as I have eaten my protein first and had lots of water.
Taylor
http://countdowntovsg.blogspot.com/

Happy966
on 12/26/11 10:25 am

1) Will I be hungry/thirsty while I'm in the hospital???

I was not hungry or thirsty.  I did get kind of cotton-mouthy but I was on clear liquids the next day so it was okay.  I was pumped up with IV fluids.

2) How long did you have to stay in the hospital?

Had surgery about 2:30 p.m. on a Monday, left the following Wednesday afternoon.

3) When do you get up to walk?

They had me up around 7:00 p.m. the first time.  Getting up was harder than the actual walking around.  I brought a small, firm pillow that I held to my left side when getting up and down.  It really helped.

4) How long were you off work?

I took off 2 weeks, but I could have gone back after 8-9 days.

5) On a scale of 1-10 how bad was the pain?

Zero pain unless I was getting up and down, twisting or bending.  Getting out of bed was hard, so I slept for 2-3 weeks in a recliner.  First week was sore, but felt really pretty decent by week 2.

6) Does this surgery really cut out hunger?? How about cravings???

I think surgery has diminished my hunger.  It has not eliminated it.  I still get cravings.  I am satisfied with much less food.  Somebody posted that it was a little like getting your body rebooted, and that has been a good description for me.  Some is enough, which wasn't true before.  It is much easier to follow my food plan.

Hope this helps.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views