Oband Centers - Out of Network?? does this sound fishy?

Lisa S.
on 7/27/12 5:59 am - NV
VSG on 07/09/12
Do you attend their support groups?? I was a patient of Dr. Umbach from October until May (my insurance cancelled). I plan on attending the next one.

synthangel
on 7/27/12 6:08 am - NV
VSG on 11/02/12
On July 27, 2012 at 12:59 PM Pacific Time, Lisa S. wrote:
Do you attend their support groups?? I was a patient of Dr. Umbach from October until May (my insurance cancelled). I plan on attending the next one.
 I havent gone to any yet. I know dr atkinsons office also offers these. Are they helpful? Have you gone to them before?
Lisa S.
on 7/27/12 9:02 pm - NV
VSG on 07/09/12
I attended a few pre-op. They were helpful. Now that I have had surgery, I feel I will get alot more out of them. They talk about what is working and what doesn't work, expectations, diet, etc. Dr. Umbach requires his patients to attend pre and post op.

synthangel
on 7/28/12 1:54 am - NV
VSG on 11/02/12
On July 28, 2012 at 4:02 AM Pacific Time, Lisa S. wrote:
I attended a few pre-op. They were helpful. Now that I have had surgery, I feel I will get alot more out of them. They talk about what is working and what doesn't work, expectations, diet, etc. Dr. Umbach requires his patients to attend pre and post op.
 Right on that sounds good maybe I will check out some support groups :) I could see how they would be especially helpfull post op. 
sevencats
on 7/27/12 3:29 pm

You piqued my curiosity, so I had to google the oband centers,  You might want to check out their website.  First, theysay they are an outpatient surgical center that only does gastric bands. (hence O-Band)  Second, Dr. Atkinson is listed as one of the physicians affiliated with them.  Third, Dr. Lyass is listed as being in California, not Vegas.

With that info, it could be that Dr. Lyass is new to Vegas, and that they know it won't take as long because he's got fewer patients.  I  think the insurance thing was an offer to provide the care for what the insurance paid; I've had doctors do that before...and there probaby isn't much difference between the 80% of agreed upon price that insurance pays for in network, and the 60% of what they generally pay of "usual and customary" costs.

The thing I'd be really interested in knowing is if they were proposing that you have the surgery in the out-patient clinic.  I would think that if they were encouraging you to use the "in-house doctor," that might be the case.  And if so, rather than the money for the OR, hospital bed, etc. going to the hospital, it would go to the clinic.  Probably a really good deal for them.

If you ever find out what it was all about, I'd love to know.  Medicine is, unfortunately, very much about business in this country.  Depending onwho the contractual issues were with--like possibly the insurance company?-- he may have just been referring you to his other practice.

synthangel
on 7/28/12 1:53 am - NV
VSG on 11/02/12
On July 27, 2012 at 10:29 PM Pacific Time, sevencats wrote:

You piqued my curiosity, so I had to google the oband centers,  You might want to check out their website.  First, theysay they are an outpatient surgical center that only does gastric bands. (hence O-Band)  Second, Dr. Atkinson is listed as one of the physicians affiliated with them.  Third, Dr. Lyass is listed as being in California, not Vegas.

With that info, it could be that Dr. Lyass is new to Vegas, and that they know it won't take as long because he's got fewer patients.  I  think the insurance thing was an offer to provide the care for what the insurance paid; I've had doctors do that before...and there probaby isn't much difference between the 80% of agreed upon price that insurance pays for in network, and the 60% of what they generally pay of "usual and customary" costs.

The thing I'd be really interested in knowing is if they were proposing that you have the surgery in the out-patient clinic.  I would think that if they were encouraging you to use the "in-house doctor," that might be the case.  And if so, rather than the money for the OR, hospital bed, etc. going to the hospital, it would go to the clinic.  Probably a really good deal for them.

If you ever find out what it was all about, I'd love to know.  Medicine is, unfortunately, very much about business in this country.  Depending onwho the contractual issues were with--like possibly the insurance company?-- he may have just been referring you to his other practice.

Yeah they were encouraging me to use the in house doc which is Dr. Lyass. He comes up twice a month from LA they said. 

They also said they would eat the difference between the 65% my insurance pays for out patient.

It's a good deal cause I could avoid my copay which will be $2000 or so for the surgery. But since its like not in writing or anything I just didn't feel comfortable.

The center looked clean and nice and the staff was professional. 

I am getting ready to go to Dr. Atkinsons office now for his seminar. I'll probably inquire around their office with the staff to see what is the deal is (if any) with their office and oband centers. If I find out anything I will update :) :)
(deactivated member)
on 5/12/15 4:12 pm

I too have went through a run around with o band las vegas.  They lied and falsified documentation. They told me I could use my documents from another facility and told me I had to do 6 months because the document better......no they fill in blank lines better. Half the stuff on my paperwork they didn't  even talk to me about. I feel scammed.

84mikeyg
on 7/3/15 3:20 am

I am just recovering from a gaatric sleeve surgery i had last friday. The oband center is legit, where i work there have been alot of people who have used the place. And they do only take what the insurance company gives them. I would recommend this place and Dr lyass to anyone

Most Active