Is there a List?

jpsp30
on 3/4/13 7:53 am - TN

Thanks. I'm on the bubble with my laptop. I have my phone for most things.

Jeff - Located in East Tennessee; Surgery by Dr. Mark Colquitt on 4/12/2013

Highest Weight- 511; Initial Consultation Weight - 474; Surgery Weight 450    

AzureAurora
on 3/4/13 6:55 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12

Pretty much ditto, same as everyone else

IPAD, toothbrush, I wore the same jogging suit/sweats I wore to the hospital. The hospital supplied gowns and slippers.

What I was really thankful I brought was tic tacs for day one. You wake up with a terrible taste in your mouth and zero liquids to even brush your teeth on day one. Plus with the pain killers I was not too mobile. One or two tic tacs lasted me 4 hours of dozing and took care of that nasty taste. Also ear plugs. I am a light sleeper and my room was near the nurses station.

Best of Luck

Julie

Highest 310 Start W 299 Surgery W 279 Current Weight 166.5 lbs      

jpsp30
on 3/4/13 7:53 am - TN

Thanks for the insight on the Tic Tacs! What about when you got home?

AzureAurora
on 3/4/13 10:37 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12
I used the tics tacs mostly that first day when I woke up after surgery. As I was immobile and could not have fluids. The taste in your mouth is really bad.

Highest 310 Start W 299 Surgery W 279 Current Weight 166.5 lbs      

emelar
on 3/4/13 7:01 am - TX

How long will you be in?  I was only there overnight.  Wore the same outfit there and back.  Brought my phone and a hairbrush.  The only thing I regretted not having was Chapstick/lip balm.  The hospital provided everything else.

My doc did the leak test during surgery, so I had no restrictions on drinking post-op.  But they had a big bag of IV fluids hooked up to me and I had no desire to drink.  They gave me a throat spray (sugar free version of chloraseptic).  My throat was the only thing that hurt.  I was croaking like a frog!

jpsp30
on 3/4/13 7:55 am - TN

I'm told that it will be a one night stay unless there are complications. I see the need for the chap stick for sure! What about when you got home? Anything worth recommending?

emelar
on 3/4/13 8:50 am - TX

Just have what you need for your first few weeks food-wise - basically, your shakes, SF popsicles/fudgsicles, zero calorie liquids, chicken/beef/veggie broth - all that good stuff.

SophieNJ
on 3/4/13 8:30 am - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

I did some shopping today for the day I come home....liquids...water, low sodium broths, sugar free popsicles, sugar free jello, decaf teas....that's for my first week home...I'm not a big fan of crystal lite type stuff.  i also purchased for 2nd stage - oatmeal, cream of wheat/rice, lentil and pea soups (which will be blended), and already have rtd and powder protein mixes, my chewable vitamins and calcium.  hope that helps!

best of luck to you

Sophie

jpsp30
on 3/4/13 8:48 am - TN
Thanks; good suggestions!

butterfly3851
on 3/4/13 8:32 am - TX

One thing I learned about here that has been helpful is a "candle warmer" - that I plugged in next to my chair that would keep my hot liquids hot - Unjury Chicken Soup, other broth.  I found it at Bed & Bath but heard they also have it at Walmart.  

My doctor recommended Isopure for the first few days after surgery - it's kinda like a gatorade with 40 grams of protein.  I liked the grape and green flavors the best - I found it at GNC & The Vitamin Shoppe.  Also, start finding out what protein drinks/shakes you like - Unjury chicken soup is a lifesaver for some.

Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 166 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 442 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 463 views