Over Doing It on Vitamins? Question for Vets....

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 6/12/13 5:08 am
VSG on 10/09/12

I have no idea Mimi...I take them separately coz they are big bloody pills and I spit and gag when I swallow so I kind of need a day to get over the first one! I have the same reaction to crushed so....I just suck it up on the swallowing. I don't like the chewables. They make me nauseous and nothing else makes me nauseous so...skip that. I will try to bung it in the morning shake..will see how that goes.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

mimij
on 6/12/13 5:22 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

I take Twin Labs Bariatric Support Multi in Berry flavor and they taste very good to me and I am particular. I buy them on line from various places. Vitacost.com used to carry them and all of sudden they can't get stock so I had to google and search some other places to find them.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

MacMadame
on 6/12/13 4:45 pm - Northern, CA

Spreading out is almost always "better" but taking the multi at once is probably "fine". Let your labs be your guide.

My labs were fine when I took my multivitamins both together. I only spread them out now because my current combination of different stuff works out better that way. (My multi has no iron so I take it with my calcium and a daily serving is 3 capsules so taking 1 capsule with each serving of calcium works great.) But, if I go back to taking 2 Centrum, which have iron in them, I won't take them with calcium so I'll probably go back to taking them both together.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

hollykim
on 6/12/13 7:47 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

The need for vitamin supplementation doesn't end after we can eat solid food. Simply put, we CAN"T eat enough with our small stomachs to possibly get enough vitamins and nutrients,ever,most likely.

I would suggest,also,that you continue to take them,then as you began to have your labs drawn,start a spread sheet and log your values on the spread sheet each time they are drawn. this way you can track for downward trends BEFORE you are desperately deficient.

(deactivated member)
on 6/12/13 5:26 pm
On June 12, 2013 at 10:35 AM Pacific Time, BREAZA wrote:

I'm 7 weeks post op and am eating fine now that I'm on solids. I guess this question is for those who are much further out....am I over doing it on vitamins or should I continue to take these? Problem is that I was never much of a vitamin taker to begin with and now having to take these every day is becoming an issue.

Bariatric Advantage: Orange Multi-vitamin Citrus Chewable

Bariatric Advantage: Chocolate Chewables Calcium Citrate (500mg)

Bariatric Advantage: Strawberry Iron (18mg) Chewable

Bariatric Advantage B-12 Peppermint

Bariatric Advantage Liquid Vitamin D-3 (10,000 IUs)

Zinc 50mg every 3rd day

Biotin every day

Wow...

You have very expensive pee, don't you?

How is that working for you?

BREAZA
on 6/13/13 1:44 am
VSG on 04/24/13

That bright yellow pee is starting to burn through my wallet! LOL

In all seriousness though, before having the surgery I wanted to make sure I had everything needed to succeed and keep myself healthy. I've been taking my vitamins and haven't stopped although I am having an issue taking so many. I would see posts from others not taking so many vitamins or simply taking their multi vitamins and their labs were fine so I thought I might have been over doing it. Of course not everyone is the same and each body is different.

As others have mentioned, it's best that I wait until after my labs to see if I have any deficiencies or lack of and will tailor my vitamins accordingly. It's just a nuisance to take so many.

hollykim
on 6/13/13 12:10 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

They "say" their labs were "fine" but that is a relative term. Surgeons and PCP 's will say everything is "fine" as long as we are somewhere in the "acceptable range". We can go along for a while even in the low "acceptible range" then one lab draw,boom we are seriously deficient. that is because we have likely been trending down for months and no one was paying close enough attention.

there are definitely less expensive options for vits than what you are taking that are just as acceptible ,and may even be more acceptible.

GL

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 70 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 261 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 325 views