What did you want/need in first days after surgery?

VSG on 06/12/13
Great info! Thanks! I will have to give it a try.

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

hollyk79
on 7/7/13 6:28 am - NE ALBERTA, Canada
with

Do you guys tend to use the carton of pre-separated egg whites or just regular fresh eggs and separate them yourself? Does it matter?

VSG on 06/12/13
I have the All Whites brand and they're pasteurized. I would worry about food poisoning from regular eggs if I ate them raw.

VSG on 06/12/13
Post op instructions vary so widely. My doc had me drinking clear liquids + skim milk for protein the first two weeks, which put my protein target at 32 grams/day. Hydration trumps nutrition that early on- I was told to get 32+ oz of liquids in addition to the 32+ oz of milk. Good luck!

hollyk79
on 7/6/13 11:48 pm - NE ALBERTA, Canada
with

This is good to hear... if all else, skim milk should always be available. Could maybe add a tbsp of protein powder to it for an added boost.

mickeymantle
on 7/6/13 3:29 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

don't forget your passport and other id

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Danigirl58
on 7/6/13 4:45 pm - Winnipeg, Canada
VSG on 06/19/13
Gax-ex the chewable or the tongue dissolve ones are very important. Post surgery down there I didn't need a whole lot other then my broth and popsicles as I really didn't feel like much. I also brought down with me disolvable/chewable gravol for the nausea and flight home. Safe flying and may everything ho splendidly down there for you guys.

hollyk79
on 7/6/13 11:48 pm - NE ALBERTA, Canada
with

This are on my shopping list for today! Hadn't thought of Gravol. Thanks!

Kelly-AnneH
on 7/7/13 1:15 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
First off - who's his surgeon? Do you have a copy of his surgeon's post op diet stages?

My sis, hubby and I went to Dr Aceves (and our daughter is being sleeved by him next week) and he has a fairly conservative refeeding schedule, starting with 10 days of clear fluids. After the first 5 of those days we were allowed to mix whey powder into our clear fluids - unflavoured whey mixed into Hawaiian Punch isn't too bad. (The only clear liquid proteins available in the Edmonton area taste vile)

If you have a Costco card it'd be worth stopping at Costco on your way through Edmonton (on your way home) and buying a couple of cases of Premier Protein shakes and a jar each of vanilla and chocolate whey powder. We use the powders mostly for peanut butter protein balls, but they give a decent amount of protein when made into a shake as well.

Walmart carries Body Fortress whey powders, which aren't bad, and a couple of other brands that I haven't tried. In a pinch the Atkins premade shakes are decent. Not the very best protein to calorie ratio, but they're fairly easy to find and they taste good.

If he likes milk you can go a fair way with just milk in the short term, although you should stick with 1% or skim. You can tart up a glass of milk a million ways and it's available most anywhere. (And sometimes available is pretty darned important)

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

hollyk79
on 7/7/13 1:49 pm - NE ALBERTA, Canada
with

His surgeon is Dr. Joya... we were very close to choosing Dr .Aceves (based on reading yours and others experiences) but decided we preferred the idea of the direct flights right in to Puerto Vallarta and Dr. Joya's great reviews as well. Anyways, the info I have so far about post op diet stages are quite vague. I am hoping we will get more specifics once we are there and see the nutritionist, etc. Gerald told me that it will basically just be juice, water and broth and to try and get the Isopure Protein Tea, which of course isn't available anywhere around here (or in Canada even!?).

We will definitely be stopping at Costco on our way home... but I am thinking we will stop somewhere tomorrow just to find something to bring with us. Any recommendations?? I am thinking of maybe GNC at South Edmonton Common. Have you found anything good there? Where do you find the best unflavoured whey? Any brand suggestions?

I really, truly appreciate the help we've gotten on this forum. Honestly, you guys are all amazing!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 162 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 435 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 456 views