Seems to good to be true...

shrinking_sarah
on 10/3/13 11:06 am - CA

Mine was pretty easy.  I felt and still feel really fortunate for that!

Sarah, VSG Dr. Cirangle--12/28/12, HW: 265 SW: 253 GW: 130???

NJNiceGuy
on 10/3/13 12:00 pm - NJ
VSG on 07/19/13

I have BCBS Of NJ and mine was very simple... EKG, endoscopy, blood work, psych eval. I did not need 3 or 6 month medical supervised diet. but i did lose 32 lbs. before surgery that my doctor asked me to do. From first visit to the doctor until surgery date was 4 months but that was mostly due to waiting for the appointments for the other stuff.  Insurance approved it all within a few days of paperwork being sent into them.

Good luck with your journey.

Smcquithy
on 10/3/13 12:28 pm

I have BCBS of Ohio, and also went very smooth. No waiting period, only had to meet the medically necessary clause, which wasn't a problem. I was very thankful. We are currently working on my husband and daughter to get approved as well. My daughter is a minor and BCBS has been great with this process too. 

Stephanie

(deactivated member)
on 10/3/13 1:01 pm

Mine was easy like that. I called they said its covered if my BMI was over 40, and if I had been enrolled in my insurance plan for at least 2 years. I applied the next month, approved 2 weeks later and I am being sleeved Next week

Stephanie R.
on 10/3/13 1:02 pm - GA
VSG on 09/11/13
Mine was that easy...through Anthem BCBS. I started the process in late July doc appts). Was approved by late Aug, had surgery 9/11.

My WLS and Plastic Surgery Journey Page: Stephanie's Journey 

Sleeve: 9/11/13  LBL, TL, BL/BA: 12/16/14

mrseveland
on 10/3/13 2:00 pm

I'm SOOOOO jealous!!!  I'm in month 16 of my pre-surgical journey.  I'm hoping to have surgery before Christmas! 

MrsEveland

Highest weight: 304     Surgery weight: 242     Goal weight: 140

pineview01
on 10/3/13 2:20 pm - Davison, MI

Just keep in mind that just because BCBS of ?? doesn't require something doesn't mean you don't have hoops to jump thru.  My daughter also called and found out how easy you was going to be BUT her employer required the supervised diet and some other dumb thing.  That is why it is important to get a copy of your particular policy.

Here's hoping your employer are easy on you.broken heart

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Jus1nita
on 10/3/13 4:04 pm - TX
VSG on 09/23/13

Yes, its easy as 1-2-3.  heart

I went to my initial group information meeting on 6/26.

Next appt a week later was with the Nutritionist and Psych.  

Next appt, 3 weeks from the Nut and Pysch was the Endoscopy.

Now, we wait for insurance approval.  Get approval 2 1/2 weeks later, and schedule surgery pre-op date and surgery date the same day I was notified by doctors office that I was approved.  

Went to pre-op and physical for clearance on 9/9, and had surgery 9/23.  Voila!  3 months tops!

My insurance which is Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts PPO only required 1 Nutrition visit, no waiting period or supervised diet.  

Sandy M.
on 10/3/13 10:43 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

For my revision from Lap Band to Sleeve, it was easy once I got someone to actually talk to me from the insurance company.  I didn't have to do any diet (essentially I'd already been doing that for 7 years with the band), and they even offered to pay my travel expenses if I wanted to go to a Center of Excellence somewhere outside of the Dallas Fort Worth area!  

I think it really depends not so much on the insurance company, but who is providing the insurance.  I'd like to think that my employer is relatively conscious about wellness, and they realize that obesity is a killer.  So they practically paid me to have the surgery!  I'm paying them back by getting and staying as healthy and fit as I possibly can so that I can be as productive to them as I can until I retire.  

Congrats to you - and welcome to the ride! 

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

snowiekate
on 10/4/13 1:27 am - FL

Congrats! I am so jealous - Florida Blue, at least my policy, specifically excluded ALL weight-loss related expenses.

~ snowiekate

High 307.2, Pre-liquid: 290.3, Surgery: 282.6

Surgery date May 31, with Dr. Radecke (Riverside Surgical in Sebastian, FL)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 446 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 466 views