How Long Does Hair Loss Last?

Tata64
on 3/26/14 3:16 pm

It started at month 3 for me, it's almost month 5 in a week and it's still falling much slower but I'm so frustrated because my hair was thick and long. But the breakage has made it look short my curls help hide the breakage. I'm going to see my hair dresser on Friday she will dye it with a dye made out of vegetable because I'm scare to use regular hair dye. I don't want to stay bald this would really devestate me since I'm still trying to cope with all the changes this surgery has bought me. That's another subject!!! My doctor said he still has not seen a bald Sleever from surgery, I'm trying to believe him...

hope123
on 3/26/14 5:35 pm - MO
Lets hope your doctor is right, LOL! (I'm sure he is).
pineview01
on 3/26/14 3:42 pm, edited 3/26/14 5:36 pm - Davison, MI

The reasons for hair lose are from the surgery itself, any way most start losing 3/4 months out. It is the anesthetic/stress no mater the surgery.   Not getting enough protein can compound the problem.

I had a double whammy.  I had the band removed 9/12 and started losing hair at 3 months.  Than I was sleeved 1/13.  The lose slowed down some at three months from banding and after the sleeve it started falling out hard again.  I started on biotin before the band removal.  I was 9/10 months out before I had full regrowth in all areas.  Than I went out at 13 months and had a neck lift and here I go again.  With this surgery I started losing hair right away.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

hope123
on 3/26/14 5:34 pm, edited 3/26/14 5:37 pm - MO
I heard that too about losing hair after every surgery, but I had two surgeries before the sleeve (which were not related to weight loss), and I didn't lose hair either time. It only happened with the weight loss surgery, so I don't know. I also took Biotin for a few months before surgery, and it didn't seem to help with hair loss one bit. I'm sorry to hear you're going to go through that again though, because it's no fun.
pineview01
on 3/26/14 5:46 pm - Davison, MI

It doesn't help with the loss, it helps with the regrowth.  I think it is more noticeable with the extreme weight loss on top of surgery.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

LosingSarah
on 3/27/14 2:36 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

Mine started around 3-4 months out, got heavier around 4-5 months, and now seems to be slowing down. It really varies from person to person and some don't even get it or it's so mild they don't even notice it.

I am so grateful for super thick hair that grows fast. Based on what's come out I know I've lost a lot, but it's actually helped me, in a way. When I went in for my last hair cut three weeks ago I didn't need to get it thinned out. I usually have put in tons of hidden layers to lighten it up.

From what I've read on this site most people whose hair is noticeably thinner say it looks better after getting a short or shorter hair cut. Long hair would just look stringy if left long and is hard add volume to.  I wear mine around chin/mid neck length already with a bit of layering, which would help whether I'm seeing a difference or not.

I've heard protein helps, but I've also heard there is nothing you can do about it. I'm sure since we're supposed to be getting x grams of protein in anyway keeping on top of that doesn't hurt.

Good luck, and remember, hair will grow back. If my hair was noticeably thin I would look into getting a shorter cut.

hope123
on 3/27/14 3:19 am - MO
Yeah, that's what I was thinking Sarah. I'm glad to see others feel the same way too. It helps with the decision making process. Thank you for your reply!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 68 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 254 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views