How did you pick your goal weight?

INgirl
on 6/22/14 11:15 am

5'7" and set mine for both a high-normal BMI and also the lowest I ever dieted myself down to from 300+ in my early 20's.. got the VSG at almost 38, 3+ years ago.. so a bit older than the last time I got there.

Got to that 155lb goal at 1 year out, kept on keeping on till I got too low at sub 135.. and let myself rebound a bit, but keep it under 155 as my "red-line." I was too-skinny in the 130's and frankly would not be able to maintain that low weight within a lifestyle I enjoy, and at my highest red-line zone, like any mid-40's woman, always think I could stand to lose 5-7lbs!

My comfy zone is mid/high 140's. I don't have a lot of muscle right now as I haven't been lifting, fairly small build. Honestly, imo, unless you are seriously weight lifting, or a very muscle-y compact man, set your sights on the highest BMI and adjust from there as you approach it. I did the BF% thing as I got close, and it really helped, and confirmed what I already suspected.. so BMI, then dial it in by personal preference/BF% if interested. Don't discount the sustainability/lifestyle aspects.. this is a life-time deal, you have to live and be comfortable in your own skin!

Sandra J.
on 6/22/14 11:50 am
VSG on 06/05/14

Thank you all so much. Your experiences and advice help so much!! 

Sandra Johnson

Sleeved on 6/5/14

shrinking_sarah
on 6/24/14 5:47 am - CA

I know I'm late to the party, but here's a link to a post I wrote on this topic. 

YOU are worth it.  YOU can make it to a healthy weight.  Don't let fear stop you.  Your  husband is being supportive and that is wonderful, but if you want to reach a healthy BMI, you can.

I will say that I spent my entire life thinking I was pear-shaped and "curvy."  Now I'd say I have an "athletic" build.  Post-plastics (i'm still swollen) I have no idea, but I think the only curves left will be the ones I paid to implant. :)  My overall health is more important to me than the curves.  Your priorities may be different, and that is ok. :)

Sarah, VSG Dr. Cirangle--12/28/12, HW: 265 SW: 253 GW: 130???

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views