How many VSG people have acid reflux?

Sally L.
on 7/17/14 7:50 am

Thanks, TruemansMom.  Someone else mentioned hernias as a cause of acid reflux.  Are you talking about regular hernias, or hiatal hernias?

SALLY - banded May 9, 2007 Check out my new fun fall photos!

Tracy D.
on 7/17/14 5:03 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

This girl here...didn't have acid reflux before (or at least I wasn't aware of it) and I sure do now.  Hubby is also having some less-severe symptoms of it since his procedure 3 months ago.  

This surgery will typically make reflex symptoms that someone has even worse post-op.  Unless it's because of  hernia that gets fixed during surgery.  Neither my husband nor I had hernia issues.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Sally L.
on 7/17/14 7:49 am

Tracy, thank you for your honest reply.  That is what I want to help me make such an important decision.  How often are you bothered by it?  Do you have trouble sleeping?

Tracy D.
on 7/17/14 10:13 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I was bothered the first couple weeks and had sleep issues until I got on a Protonix.  No problems since except for some occasional breakthrough acid during the day.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

rocky513
on 7/17/14 7:28 am - WI

I had severe GERD and revised from a VBG to RNY.  My acid reflux is cured.  

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Sally L.
on 7/17/14 7:48 am

Rocky, thank you for your honest reply.  This is such a hard decision!  I had read that RnY patients had more success in resolving acid reflux issues, but I am concerned that if I had RnY, they would not be able to see part of my stomach to check for cancer.  My father just passed away last month with gastric cancer, so that is a major concern to me.  

rocky513
on 7/17/14 8:10 am - WI

Sorry for your loss.  

Before you have RNY surgery they do an endoscopy and really check things out.  I would think if they saw anything suspicious, they would not recommend  RNY.  You should consult with a surgeon to see if there are other ways to detect that cancer if you decide on RNY.  Could they see a cancerous growth with a CAT scan?

I had really bad acid-reflux for years due to a botched VBG surgery.  I woke up from my RNY pain free for the first time in 25 years.  I am almost 4 years out from RNY and I have had NO relfux.  

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Saraberry
on 7/17/14 10:39 am

Hello, Sally, 

I had my lap band removed and a gastric sleeve  on June 30th 2014.

Before my band I had some Gerd, Band doc stated he fixed a hernia. l never had any reflux with the band to speak of. After the VGS about 10 days out, I got acid reflux bad! call surgeon and got some Carafate liquid. Surgeon said due to the previous band , making a bulge in that area, it would take six months to return to normal and the reflux to stop. He said I could take Nexium OTC 40 along with the famotidine   and the Carafate. Good news this pm I took 1 Nexium 24 HR ext. release otc in some applesauce and got some relief! I was able to get down a 1/4 cup of pudding.  I will take 2 Tomorrow and just wait it out. 

So the Nexium really works!  

Sally L.
on 7/18/14 6:58 am

Glad the meds are starting to work for you , Saraberry!

sdkitty
on 7/17/14 8:21 pm

Hi- I'm a month post op and my husband is two months. We both had severe reflux prior to surgery. His got so bad before treatment several years ago that he had Barrett's esophagus (pre-cancerous cells) and mine was so bad id wake up occasionally with it in my lungs. 

During surgery we both had hiatal hernia repairs and we're both on one omeprazole per day. My husband hasn't had one episode of heart burn since surgery. I have had a couple episodes, but now mine feels like what I expect 'normal' heart burn feels and not me wishing I could go to the emergency room like before. Also mine only happens if I eat too late or have something really spicy. 

At least for now mine is about 90 percent better than it was.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 73 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 273 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views