How much water can you drink?

GooseGirl
on 3/26/15 2:37 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

I'm almost 5 months out. I aim for 100 oz of water a day. I still have to use my timers to remind me but I can get in that much over the course of the day. I can now drink about 5 - 7 swallows of water at one time although I do still have to remember to breathe out while I am drinking. That is weird to me. 

(deactivated member)
on 3/26/15 2:58 am

It truly becomes easier the farther you get out from surgery. At this time you have to make it your JOB to drink plenty of water. I know it may be hard, but it is so important. I will never forget seeing a post op VSG patient go into shock from dehydration. It was scary as hell! to help me get my 64oz in immediately post op, I used a 1/4 cup measure and drank that amount of water every 15 minutes while I was awake (and, of course, after the required no drinking post eating time). That really helped me get all my water in.

zann50
on 3/26/15 4:09 am

Best bet on this site is to listen to the VETS...I'll share my experience anyway.  Tomorrow will be my two-month post surgery date.  I have always drank a lot of water.  Like greater than a gallon a day for years.  It has taken some time to get back to that quantity, but again, I am able to consume usually 140-150oz daily.  One of the nutritionist was looking at my food journal and thought maybe labs were indicated...then she ask me if that was my amount pre-op.  I shared and she said it was fine if I wasn't having any symptoms of low sodium.  No labs yet.  I feel fine.  I was reassured that it was NOT going to STRETCH anything( s/p VSG).  Apparently, water in water out.  Yes, I do visit the BR at night.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/26/15 5:31 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

It's very hard this soon after surgery to take more than small sips, but it will get easier over time.  Within a few months, I was able to gulp a lot of water in one swig.  And it takes some time to work out the logistics of how to get your water in around your eating schedule, but you'll find what works for you.  

I tend to drink the greatest portion of my fluids in the evening which results in a middle of the night trip to the bathroom.  I don't like drinking a lot early in the day for some reason.  I drink around 100 ounces a day, whi*****ludes water and teas.

You've got this  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

DANinTexas360
on 3/26/15 5:59 am
VSG on 01/26/15 with

I was drinking 64oz+ on day four. However everyone is different.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 78 views