Should I or shouldnt i??

momsy55
on 5/21/15 5:58 am - ME

I chose the sleeve for most of the reasons Gwen outlined.   I do know others who had RNY, and most have done quite well.  One person had lots of problems and many surgeries after WLS.  They were finally able to determine, after about 3-4 years, that she had an ulcer in the dormant part of her stomach.  However, she also chose to not quit smoking, against her surgeon's advice and the guidelines of most (if not all) WLS programs, which may have contributed greatly to the problems she had.  Having said all this, I also agree with others who have advised you to discuss the options with your surgeon, as there may be reasons to choose one over the other.  My surgeon initially advised RNY, as I had type II diabetes, but she agreed that, as the condition had been under excellent control since I was diagnosed, I could do the sleeve. My last dosage of diabetes meds was the day prior to surgery, and I've been in remission ever since.  Best of luck to you in whatever you choose Caz!   Mary

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

CazR
on 5/21/15 4:05 pm - Canada

Thank you Mary!!!  and WTG Girl !!!!  You have done awesome !!!  Congrats!!

momsy55
on 5/22/15 6:48 am - ME

Thank you!

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

catwoman7
on 5/21/15 11:34 am
RNY on 06/03/15

My surgeon said it was my choice.  I could have either surgery, but he said since I already have GERD, it could potentially get worse with the sleeve (not definitely - but potentially).   But aside from that possible issue, he was comfortable doing either one and left the choice up to me  (I'm doing RNY)

CazR
on 5/21/15 4:07 pm - Canada

Thank you hun......I wish you the best of luck !!! :)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/21/15 11:54 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Have you spoken to a surgeon yet? You should be able to get his/her expert opinion on which would be best for your particular health situation. The ultimate decision is usually yours, but the doctor can help point out things that may make one surgery better than the other for you.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

CazR
on 5/21/15 4:09 pm - Canada

No ....early stages...just had Doc agree to put me forward and I've had a sleep study done..awaiting results from that now. :)  Thx hun:)

Valerie G.
on 5/21/15 4:17 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Surgeon makes you choose because you know your body best.  If eating less gets you results, then the sleeve is a great solution.  If you need an extra kick in the metabolism, then the RNY or DS would be a better fit.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

sistah3
on 5/27/15 12:54 pm

My surgeon gave me the choice of RNY or sleeve-felt I would do well with either. I asked him if they've lost anyone with one or the other. Sadly yes-with the RNY. They already had significant health issues but that was the clincher for me. I have too many people counting on me being alive to take that risk.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 84 views