Am I eating too much? Nutritionist says no, but I wonder

Grim_Traveller
on 3/5/16 3:38 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Yeah, there are a lot of foolish plans when it comes to nutrition and supplements. If you want mediocre results, follow a mediocre plan. If you want to do the best you can, listen to people here who have lost ALL their excess weight, and kept it off for years.

Gaining weight from not eating enough, and losing weight by eating more, are both laughable.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

PaulaToronto
on 3/6/16 12:50 pm - Toronto, Canada

Just another suggestion, read Frisco's post (reposted often) on the pyloric valve. I do not eat until I am full (4 years out). I eat until I am satisfied and just before the fullness starts.  For me that takes 2.5 ounces of chicken and some cauliflower or broccoli.

I didn't follow my center's plan as it was geared for RNY.  I was one of very few who had VSG at that office. I researched all the plans for doctors that had very successful patients.  I messaged people who have been successful longer term and followed their diet.

At one month out I was still quite swollen and could barely get in two shakes a day and maybe 1/2 egg. If I ate more I vomited.  I slowly increased my intake sticking to dense protein and some veg.  I had no fruit for the first year (my choice - I was a slow loser and kept my carbs below 30 per day) I ate around 600 for months 4-7 and then increased to around 800. Protein and veg was always my focus. And water. At maintenance I can only do 1000 a day. Anything more and I gain. I am over 60, post menopausal and can do limited exercise other than walking.  Yes my metabolism is slower than when I was in my 30's but I wouldn't trade this tool for more calories and obesity.

My RD wanted me to eat more too - not 1000 one month out - but more than I was eating and they recommended way more carbs daily.  I would never have been successful if I had followed their advice.  You know your body best so take care of it the best way you know how. The first year goes by so fast and you do need to maximize your weight loss in the first year.  From there on it becomes much harder to lose quickly.  I have had some regain and in order to lose it I go back to 800 calories a day and less than 40 grams of carbs a day.  I will lose up to a pound a week on this plan so lose it while you can. 

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

happyteacher
on 3/7/16 4:31 pm

My center had the beginning calories low like this, but gradually increase as the months continued. I was at 1200 around month 5 if I recall correctly... it is on my blog link back around April 2012 sometime. That plan worked very well for me, but I did exercise regularly. I am also very tall, so one would think I would need a little higher level compared to a woman a foot shorter than me.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

justpete
on 3/7/16 4:56 pm
VSG on 04/02/13

this is the BARE minimum you should be eating.  you made no mention of activity (type, frequently, intensity) ... this is what determines your macros, esp the carbs.

I would increase this as you increase your activity, this will ensure a healthy metabolism later on.  You will not be able to sustain this level of eating for long.  long term planning is what you want, not short term weight loss.  build your body.  increase your fitness.  lose the fat (for good).

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 78 views