In reading through several of the posts here, it sounds like people are perpetually hungry

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 3/21/18 8:24 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I agree 100% with Gwen. We feel full with way less food so we don't eat as much at a meal, especially if it is the right kind of food (dense protein particularly).

However, if we choose to eat simple carbs/sugar, we can eat a LOT and definitely exceed our calorie maximums. I choose not to do that. When I am hungry I try to eat something that I know will fill up my sleeve (something protein based). So I feel satisfied without a lot of excess calories.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

(deactivated member)
on 3/21/18 6:25 am

I had Gastric Bypass in May 2008, almost 10 years ago. My primary doctor recommended I have the surgery. I was a female about 280 and 5 foot 7. I asked him your very question.... how will this make me any more successful then any other diet? I had lost 130 with optimist, 90 with Jenny Craig, 70 with nutri system?? His reply was that my stomach was the size of a football and will be the size of a golf ball. You can over eat but not as easy. In almost 10 years I am 167 lbs (15 lbs up from where I ideally would like to be to reach a normal BMI and where my body looks and feels it's healthiest). I did go through some regain about 7 years out but 40 lbs (50 if I say my low of 140 that I felt too thin for me) but a far cry from 130 or 140 lb gain that I had before. I still get hungry no doubt but it is definitely more manageable and I feel my restriction when I avoid carbs and sugar. I had RNY but I believe the same for VSG. One other wonderful thing was no high blood pressure med since my surgery. Even when I had some regain my BP did not raise at all. Are you considering VSG surgery??

(deactivated member)
on 3/21/18 5:42 am
VSG on 03/01/18

I was really hungry the last few days but I just had surgery & am just learning how to get in all my protein. I'm in the heal ur tummy stage. This morning hungrr hasn't hit me yet. I should be mixing a protein shake but I'm making coffee. My new tool isnt ready yet, when I do get promoted to solids its only going to hold 4 oz. This will dramatically decrease my food intake. I'm *****in about hunger cuz as well read as I was on WLS I jus didnt realize I would have to exhibit any will power. Its NOT the easy way- NOT AT ALL. But its a powerful way.

(deactivated member)
on 3/21/18 5:47 am
VSG on 03/01/18

Once I can eat I won't be hungry. But anyway when i have a few toddker dpoons of greek plain yogurt I'm stuffed. Stuffed means STOP cuz one more bite hurts like hell (restriction). It's a wonderful tool/gift. But yeah I get hungry af cuz Im a drive thru eater & its a way if life something to do, u knw "lets eat" it takes up more of our day than we realize.

Gwen M.
on 3/21/18 5:53 am, edited 3/20/18 10:54 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Interestingly enough, I was never hungry before WLS and I do experience hunger now.

Why was I never hungry pre-op? As someone who has Binge Eating Disorder, I was always eating. I never went long enough without food to actually experience hunger.

Now I get hungry when I SHOULD get hungry. "Haven't eaten anything for 5 hours? Yeah, I'm hungry now." "Went for a run first thing in the morning, before I had breakfast? Yeah, I'm hungry now."

For me, I actually appreciate the feeling of hunger now, since it's something I never experienced before VSG. But it's also appropriate hunger. It's hunger at times I feel like people SHOULD be hungry.

And the best part about it? I can ignore the hunger. It doesn't rule my life.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Notaboutperfect
on 3/23/18 1:30 pm
VSG on 11/08/16

Thank you for saying this Gwen! I also have BED and am so thankful for my newfound power over hunger. It's a long road, and I struggle from time-time, but for once I'm controlling what/when I eat not my compulsion.

(deactivated member)
on 3/21/18 6:17 am
VSG on 03/01/18

Exactly. Hunger is a very healthy thing. Think back to not being hungry, whether ur fat or skinny- NOT feeling hunger means illness. It doesnt feel right to us, feels like we're coming down with something. It's an innate human reaction. My 28 yr old told me last week, " Something is wrong with me, I don't have an appetite." I responded with, " Are u coming down with the flu? Try clean eating & see if u feel better." Hunger is not our enemy, overeating & bad food choices are the enemy. U knw ur dog is sick if he/she stops eating, u knw ur babies ill if they stop feeding, cancer patients aren't hungry.

Lmao perpetually hungry... I like that tho

hollykim
on 3/21/18 6:21 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 21, 2018 at 10:46 AM Pacific Time, AboutTime077 wrote:

I thought that the entire raison d'etre of the sleeve was to limit intake and thus, provide a dramatically greater feeling of satiety much sooner than before. Beyond this, it is my understanding that the removal of the part of the stomach which is excised contains tissue which produces ghrelin which causes feelings of hunger. The net result would then be that there is far less hunger throughout the day.

Am I mistaken in these assumptions? Reading through many of the posts here I'm not hearing too much about what this surgery does to aid us in our journey. Often, it just seems like people are adhering to a very difficulty diet characterized by endless deprivation.

Am I missing something?

Please understand, I'm not looking to argue or troll, I'm genuinely interested in hearing about the specific benefits of this surgery. I'm wondering if people who post on forums such as this may represent a skewed sample of individuals who are experiencing problems and are looking for help or guidance.

I am 9 years out this month and I am never hungry. Haven't been hungry since surgery. I eat by the clock or I woul have starved to death by now.

I think some of it has to do with the technique the surgeon uses.

(deactivated member)
on 3/21/18 6:35 am

Holly you are very lucky you do not feel hungry 9 years out ... I can feel hunger I don't think I did my first 3 or 4 years.

Lunachick
on 3/21/18 9:29 am

I agree, I haven't had surgery yet but I really hope I never feel hunger and have to eat by the clock when I do get the amazing opportunity to have my surgery. Either way I'm all in but, WOW, wouldn't it be great to not feel hunger. :-)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views