Question for those who have "Gotten Back on Track"

viqueenfan
on 4/10/08 3:43 am - Newport, MN
I've decided I really need to focus on getting back on track, but don't want to set myself up so that I don't stick with it. Think I need to focus either on exercise for a couple of weeks and then focus on food - or shoudl I do food first? I would appreciate input for others that have gotten themselves back on track and to hear how you did it. Thanks.

"Your dream determines your goals, your goals map out your actions, your actions create results, and the results bring you success"
                                                                           John Maxwell

(deactivated member)
on 4/10/08 5:07 am
I just love your avatar. I don't really know the answer to your question. I would think food first. My nut tells us to take little steps, so we'll be less likely to fail. Do something (or give up something) for a couple of weeks, and then add something else. The little red-haired guy that used to make me do stuff at the gym told me that 80% of your weight is from what you eat and the other 20% comes from exercise. Maybe a couple of weeks from now you could get back with your exercise. And then everything will be just right.
viqueenfan
on 4/10/08 5:53 am - Newport, MN
Thank you - I'm keeping track of everything I put into my mouth (starting today )  Some days I think i eat too much and others not enough - hoping that keeping track will help me figure out where I should be. I've seen the variance of what people are at calorie wise - per my "WLS bible" from my surgeon I should be eating no more than 1000 calories a day with 40 - 60 grams of protein a day. I've also called to make an appointment with my nutritionist at the surgeon's office - but that is 4 weeks away - hopefully keeping track and bringing it to her will help me jump start my weight loss again.
marthajc
on 4/10/08 6:57 am
Funny you should ask this question... I am a new member although I am 6 1/2 years post-op and posted a similar question on my local board yesterday.Long story short, after all this time I have seen my weight go from 280-115-160-190-230(pregnancy)-198&now 175. I lost this last 23lbs. within the last 9 weeks, doing what I NEVER imagined I'd ever do again...count calories. It is an AWESOME tool to write down literally everything that passes your lips, that way you can keep track of it, but also there is some accountability involved. Activity is important for many different reasons I guess depending on who you are, but the cold science is that if it doesn't go in, you don't have to worry about whether it burns off (spoken like someone who loathes exercise, eh?). Frankly I'd rather give up near any food than make myself exercise ritualistically :). So this is what I've found that helps so far... I hope it helps you. P.S. I've also made it a priority to not eat or drink anything anymore that I don't absolutely LOVE, life is too short&our tummies are too small
BelindaOBX
on 4/10/08 10:13 am - Mount Gilead, NC
I recommend having a metobolism test. The one I had is called the Med Gem. Mine was done through my Nuts office. But many fitness centers provide the test. It is a useful tool. The test indicates what your calories should be to lose or maintain weight. Belinda

Anchor cut TT 9/27/2007

prazzzhim
on 4/10/08 10:32 pm - marthasville, MO
I'm getting one of those tests in May when my labs are done. I can't wait. I also hate to exercize. I have joined the Y but it's like pulling teeth to go. I even got a buddy to go w/ me, but she's not to devoted to going either.  Looking forward to that test.
(deactivated member)
on 4/10/08 11:32 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH

Pick one thing - it doesn't really matter what - and focus on that for 4-6 weeks.  When you're in a good routine with that one thing, whether its your food or exercise or daily fluids or whatever, then start working on a second thing.   It generally takes 4-6 weeks to make a new behavior a "habit."  And once you've made something into a new habit, it takes less time, energy, and focus to continue doing that new thing.  We tend to get in to trouble when we try to make a lot of changes at one time; it's just too much for our minds and bodies to handle.   For me, I'd probably work on the exercise first, since that's often hard for people to fit in to their routine and stick with it.  If you increase your exercise, you may see some weight loss because you're burning off more calories.  Then when you're in a nice, stable exercise routine, you can start looking at your daily food plan and working on making healthy choices.   Good luck on your continuing journey -  Kellie

viqueenfan
on 4/11/08 12:58 am - Newport, MN
Thank you to all who have responded - I'll ask about the metabolism test - that sounds like a good idea - at support group last night we talked about "habits" i'm trying to understand why I can be on track for a good period of time and then fall off - almost like I lose interest. I'm reading about emotional eating and also working on some self esteem issues - the hardest part is the mental part - even at 5 years out - guess i really need to think of it as a journey and a process - that there is no beginning or end - Thanks again for your responses. :)

"Your dream determines your goals, your goals map out your actions, your actions create results, and the results bring you success"
                                                                           John Maxwell

Char S.
on 4/12/08 2:51 am - Jefferson Hills, PA
It can be done.  I lost 101 pounds, regained 42# then lost 27 of those 42#.. I am still working on losing 12-15 pounds.  Please see my profile and posts and be encouraged.  Good luck and many blessings!!
Char S. 
Getting Back on Track Again!!

Most Active
Recent Topics