Hi, I am new and I am gaining weight back!!!

sharim
on 4/11/08 7:05 am - Rochester, NY

Hi there!  This is the first time I have been on the WLS Grad forum.  I have gained about 30 pounds over the past year and a half.  Just recently (this week), I began to change things. I went back to my carnation instant breakfast and procel and have stopped diet soda and dove bars (my weakness) altogether.  It comforts me to know I am not the only one this has happened to.  I look forward to hearing your stories and getting some support through this, as it is devastating me.  Also, my doctor put me on Zoloft about a year and a half ago for panic attacks.  I have heard this makes you gain weight by increasing your appetite.  I have started to decrease my dosage to wean off of this, as I believe my anxiety disorder could be nutrition related.  It started when I was almost completely depleted of B12 after I delivered my 5th child 15 months post-op.  I didn't intend to become pregnant 6 months s/p surgery, and I think it was just too much for my body to handle, as it was struggling to maintain nutrition.  (of course, it didn't help that I kept forgetting my vitamins). Is there hope?  Can I lose the weight?

Sandra N.
on 4/11/08 7:45 am - MN
There is hope!  Your biggest battle is over: admitting!  NOW!  Time for action!  Do the 5day pouch test!  THEN get back to the basics as you have a baby now that needs mommy to be healthy!  Take your vitamins, calcium, B12, protein, exercise and WATER!!!  It's never too late!  YOU CAN DO IT!!! Love and Hugs!

~Sandie~ -147!!WLS:12-12-06:Preop 268,Ht.5'4",BMI 44.9
  Click on link to see my journey!!! 
http://www.onetruemedia.com/my_shared?z=2bfaca5561a1d558fceb
87&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

"Do unto others as you'd have done to you"~ The Golden Rule to Live by!
You are what you EAT and WHO you hang out with!  Choices=Outcome~ what's YOUR choice??
I'm not perfect but I am going to die trying!!!

sharim
on 4/11/08 7:55 am - Rochester, NY

Sandie, thank you so much for the encouragement!  I tend to not take care of myself as I should.  I have 5 kids, a husband and an at-home medical transcription job.  I had an absolute melt-down about a year and a half ago.  My daughter was 4 months old, and my body started freaking out. I firmly believe it was nutrition-related, as I was depleted in many areas (B, iron, Vitamin D, calcium).  Can I drop a few pounds doing the 5-day test?  That would just give me more encouragement to keep going. Thanks! Shari

Sandra N.
on 4/11/08 8:01 am - MN
Yep!  You can drop a few pounds, get rid of carb addictions, and tighten the pouch to get you back on track!  I just did it (not to lose but to get rid of bad habits that snuck back in) and I dropped 6 pounds I think.  BUT I FELT awesome and back in control!!  YOU CAN DO IT!!! Hugs!

~Sandie~ -147!!WLS:12-12-06:Preop 268,Ht.5'4",BMI 44.9
  Click on link to see my journey!!! 
http://www.onetruemedia.com/my_shared?z=2bfaca5561a1d558fceb
87&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

"Do unto others as you'd have done to you"~ The Golden Rule to Live by!
You are what you EAT and WHO you hang out with!  Choices=Outcome~ what's YOUR choice??
I'm not perfect but I am going to die trying!!!

peacefuldaizy
on 4/11/08 9:44 am - South of Buffalo, NY
Hi!!!  Just wanted to say hello to a fellow patient of Dr. O'Malley.  he is so phenomenal!!!  I'm also struggling not to regain ... There is a support group at Highland Hospital, but I wasn't impressed.  I wish Dr. O would have a weekly support group with a therapist who specializes in eating disorders.   Anyway, there is hope, and you can lose the weight.  Do you exercise???  That's the only thing saving my butt from complete regain.  I'll always struggle with food. Hugs, Annette

sharim
on 4/11/08 11:06 am - Rochester, NY
Your puppy is adorable!  I love Dr. O'Malley also. I wouldn't have anyone else!  I waited a year for him!  I do exercise. I just started again this week, walking on the treadmill. I will work my way up.  I started having anxiety and panic attacks about a year and a half ago. I think it was due to depleted nutrients after getting pregnant 6 months after surgery and then not taking my vitamins after I gave birth.  I have been afraid to get my heart rate up, as it was putting me into panic attack mode, but I seem to have it under control and have ventured back out. Hugs,  Shari
peacefuldaizy
on 4/11/08 9:28 pm - South of Buffalo, NY
Shari, I recommend strength training as well as cardiovascular exercise ... Strength training increases muscle mass, whi*****reases metabolism.   Sorry you are struggling so much ... I am wondering why you stopped taking your vitamins.  Do you have follow-up appts at Dr. O's office???  I loved Deb, but I guess she left.    she was truly wonderful.  Perhaps see if you can get in to see a nutritionist.  My problem is that I absolutely KNOW what I should be eating ... but actually doing it is a different matter.  My meals and snacks are healthy, but I do eat sweets every day (not gonna lie about that one).  Sweets will always be my downfall. Hugs, Annette

sharim
on 4/11/08 11:07 pm - Rochester, NY
I loved Deb too.   I  have an appointment next week.  My problem is what I was eating and lack of exercise.  I became addicted to dove bars.  It was the only chocolate I could eat without dumping.  I have been taking my vitamins recently. It was just right after the birth of my 5th child that I just became too busy or distracted until my body freaked out and laid it out for me!  I have eliminated diet pepsi and dove bars this past week and have lost 6 pounds!  Yayyy!  I also have been to the Y 4 out of 5 nights this week.  I just need to get back to my basics. I have gone back to my sugar free CIB with Procel protein powder twice a day.  It really, really helps to keep the cravings away for the dove bars! I will let you know how my appointment goes next week! Talk to you soon!  Take care! Shari
Char S.
on 4/12/08 1:00 am - Jefferson Hills, PA
There is hope! You can lose the weight!  I had RNY in August 2000 and lost 101 pounds by June 2001.  In 2003 I started regaining weight and by March 2005 I reached my all-time post-op high weight ...a 42# weight gain.  Please read my profile and posts to see how I lost 27 of the 42 pounds I gained. You 've probably heard it a thousand times but going back to basics, including exercise and drinking lots of water really works!   It is not easy and I'm still fighting to not re-gain and to lose another 12 pounds.  Even though I haven't tried it, some members have successfully used the 5-Day Pouch Test to "re-set" their pouch. Coming to the boards and seeing what others have done to jumpstart a weight loss really helps. Whatever you decide to do to get back on the losing side again, please start right away!!  Good luck and many blessings to you.
Char S. 
Getting Back on Track Again!!

(deactivated member)
on 4/12/08 11:05 am
Hi Sharin. Yep, you'll lose that weight. The hardest part is realizing you've got to make some changes, and now that you've done that, you'll be on your way back down in no time. Please keep posting about your progress.
Most Active
Recent Topics