- HEALTH TRACKER
Avoiding Emotional Eating
posted on 12/28/08 12:04 pm
Do you engage in Emotional Eating? I know that have. That's part of got me to the point that I need WLS to get my life back. Much to my distress ... pardon the pun... I have found that now that they honeymoon period is over and on top of that some serious stresses have landed square on my shoulders, I have found myself engaging in Emotional Eating. I define Emotional Eating as eating to soothe or comfort myself, instead of eating to fuel my body or quell true hunger. I find that often if I'm engaging in emotional eating, I feel out of control. I often am not waiting until a planned meal and that I'm not following 'the rules' ... I generally will partake of something that is higher fat and higher carb, and it's usually not high protien. So.... what to do?
I realized that I need to do some things to protect me from me...
- Review my list of reasons for losing weight and maintaining the loss. This sounds simple and even silly, but I find that my reasons for doing this in the first place, along with a before photo can be very powerful.
- Determine if I'm 'hungry'... physically hungry, or having a craving...
- Try distraction ... I have found that often if I can distract myself for at least 15 minutes with another activity that the craving will subside. I have a list of distraction activities and refer to it.
If I'm going to to eat, then...
- Plan what and when I'm going to eat.
- Eat at the table... even if I deviate from my planned eating, I find that I'm more mindful if I put whatever 'it' is on plate and sit down at the table to have it.
- Eat protien first... even if I am going to indulge, if I have protien first, I find that I don't do as much damage.
So... Did you or do you have issues with Emotional Eating. If so, how do you tackle them?
1 Response to "Avoiding Emotional Eating"
Sign in to comment! Login now.
<< Blog Home