Anyone else keeping their surgery a "secret"?

AmyS
on 7/6/06 12:49 pm - ME
Thanks EL - and everyone else! I'm guess I'm not surprised that I'm not alone keeping this information to myself. It's a very tough and personal decision. I wouldn't feel compelled to tell everyone if I was having a hemorrhoid operation - so why do I have to tell them about this ;) I'm also a teacher. I will only have 6 weeks before I go back to school mid-August. I'm a little worried about going back and being totally worn out - but I'm sure I'll "come around." I also agree that it's not going to take the kids long to put 2 and 2 together, but I'm still on the fence about how to field questions. I guess I'll just wait and see. Thanks, Amy (7 days to go!!!)
Denise O.
on 7/9/06 10:19 am - Castle Rock, WA
Amy, El, & everyone else, I thought I was the only one keeping secrects. I live in WA, but was just home in MI visiting. I actually got my surgery date while in Michigan. I tested the water with each of my parents by telling them about my friend who had RNY in March. I even showed them pictures of her. Dad and step-mom were enthusiastic and inquisative. My Mom thought it was foolish of her, and brushed it off anytime I tried to bring the subject up again. So, Dad knows, Mom doesn't. I am also a teacher. I teach middle school Math & Life Science. Like you El I'm opting for the teachable moment. About 10 years ago I did Jenny Craig. I lost about 100 pounds back then (gained that back plus more.) Anyway, I was teaching in Puerto Rico at the time. My students were my best cheerleaders. They knew my weigh in day, and would ask. They would watch what I had for lunch. They would really get on the kid that brought candy, cake, or donuts for a treat. Middle school students are a tough crowd, but they can be so personable too. As far as the before & after shots in the classroom. I'll let the yearbook do that. Think about it. We get pictures taken in early September. Yearbooks come out early June. They WILL notice the difference without me pointing it out. OT - One thing I am looking forward to this year is the nutrition section we teach in Life Science. I have felt so hypocritical teaching this unit standing before my students so overweight, but this year I will be able to explain even better how our bodies process food. Using our new projectors I can even project some of the cartoon video surgey pieces I have found. That is, if the subject has come up by then. So - to tell or not to tell - that is the question. IMO it's as much an individual choice as which type of WLS to have. I've never wished a July to go faster, Good Luck everyone, Denise
(deactivated member)
on 7/9/06 9:54 am - Greenfield, IN
I, too, am keeping my surgery under wraps. The only people who know are my parents, my boyfriend, my 3 best friends, and a woman who is like my 2nd mother. I told my boss I had to have surgery but not what kind. Lead him to believe it was female. I am going to inform some co-workers about my surgery but not tell them what kind. Again I will lead them to believe it is female surgery. As for the hospital visitors. I am only allowing my parents and boyfriend there. I have asked the 4 others to wait till I am home to come see me. I just feel like I will be less stressed out with as few people there as possible. Good Luck with your surgery! I'll be 5 days right behind you!! Sam
Most Active
Recent Topics
Happy 9 years!
Diminishing Dawn · 1 replies · 924 views
Old timer
Lindaanne · 0 replies · 1015 views
Almost 7 years for us!
Diminishing Dawn · 1 replies · 961 views
Happy 6 Years
Diminishing Dawn · 0 replies · 1053 views