Employer wants letter from Doctor

hope4life
on 8/9/04 11:44 pm - W. Bridgewater, MA
I agree with Camilla. It is illegal (I just wasn't positive) for an employer to ask why and especially now that you said that your co-workers and such are thinking that you are taking "the easy way out." THAT is none of their business and they cannot demand documentation. I just want to smack people when they are like that. Talk with your doc and come up with a very very simple letter not giving any details except that you need to have the gastric bypass. They won't argue with a doctor and you also did not give them any info. Since they already know that you are having surgery it would really stick it in their craw...LOL. I hate ignorance. Erin
April L.
on 8/10/04 11:26 am - Minot, ND
Update guys, the doctor called and said he will not write a letter. I think my boss really stepped on his toes by asking for it. The doctor said the acceptance letter from BCBS should be enough. He was not happy at all. I talked to my boss and he said he insists on having a letter for the file saying that this is medically necessary and not cosmetic. That's all he wants. I am very angry with my boss right now. God, they have no idea what it takes to get approved for WLS but they sit up on their high horse and act like they know everything about everything and they know best. Whatever! This man has barely met me and to stand in the way of my access to health care is just insane! I am fuming!!
cripley
on 8/17/04 11:37 am - West Palm Beach, FL
Sorry guys.. but I don't get it. I don't think April's employer has any right to insist on a letter from anyone. It's none of their business. The only thing I think she needs a letter from the doctor for is Short-term Disability. FMLA or not. This is her personal decision, not her bosses. Plus, April, if you are not getting support from you co-workers and boss, maybe you should think about going elsewhere after surgery. They can just blow it up their . Well, you get the point.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Writing a book
GloryGirl · 2 replies · 875 views
Sad - no posts since 2008!
Ruth S. · 1 replies · 812 views
HAPPY SurgeryVersary!
TberryRose · 0 replies · 872 views
FYI: Gastroparesis and WLS
SUPERMANs_Wife · 1 replies · 1128 views