Does having sleep apnea hinder my chances of having surgery?

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/13 8:52 pm - Straford, Canada

As it is likely a result of your obesity it may actually increase your chances of having the surgery.  You will probably require a CPAP machine, I did, but I have also been told on this site that some folks have t and didn't require CPAP.  You will be told whether you need one, but also know that in many provinces you can and should loose your driver's license if you have untreated sleep apnea, as you are a danger on the roads.  My SA resolved very quickly after surgery, haven't needed CPAP for months now!  Enjoy the ride!  

NewMe2.0
on 5/28/13 1:26 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Thanks Ian.  The sleep clinic did warn me that if I didn't actively treat my sleep apnea they were obligated to inform the DMV.  I am just waiting for my machine.  Initially I had thought of not telling them at the hospital where I am having this day surgery- a friend of mine basically told me this sleep apnea is a scam,and she made me second guess my results.  Boy did I get a lecture on that one.  And I thought everything was set until I met with the anesthesiologist..(Mr. personality, NOT)...

Thanks again for your reply...starting to feel better about the whole thing now...

• Referral:  Feb 2013/ Guelph  
  • RNY May 20th 2014 (Dr. Bhojani)                                                                         
  • 2nd RNY (revision due to marginal ulcers) Aug. 10th 2015 ( Dr. Bhojani)  
  • Revision to VSG (marginal ulcers): March 22nd 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)
  • Total Gastrectomy:  Dec. 15th 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)

Julia P.
on 5/28/13 2:13 am - Canada
RNY on 10/16/12

Like you, I was tested only as part of the process and didn't think I had sleep apena.  It turns out I did have it, and needed a CPAP machine.  I started using the CPAP many months before surgery, and there weren't any issues or delays with my surgery.  You'll need to bring it to the hospital and use it while you're there.  They also keep you in recovery for longer (I was in recovery for 4 hours instead of the standard 2 hours) to make sure you aren't having any issues.

Referral - December 2011 * Orientation TWH - March 13th, 2012 * Nurse Practitioner - April 17th, 2012 * Nutrition Class - April 17th, 2012 * Social Worker - April 24th, 2012 * Dietician - May 1st, 2012 * Psych - May 1st, 2012 * Surgeon - August 17th, 2012 * PATTS - Sept. 12th, 2012 * SURGERY TEGH, Dr. Cyriac - October 16th, 2012

Starting Weight - 320 lbs   *   Current Weight - 178 lbs  *  Goal Weight - 165 lbs 

NewMe2.0
on 5/28/13 2:35 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Thanks Julia...after reading the replies to my post, I am feeling much better.  It just threw me for a loop when this anesthesiologist seemed to have an issue with it...but I guess for day surgery, an epidural is much easier to deal with.

I noticed your stats...congrats on your weight loss!

And thanks for your reply....

LadyScorpio3
on 5/28/13 2:57 am, edited 5/28/13 3:01 am

Hello,

I had my surgery at Guelph.  I have Sleep Apnea, and like all the other replies you are just required to use the machine before and then after surgery to make sure you continue to breathe.  Because of your sleep apnea they are concerned that you will have problems with the general anesthesia and pain meds.  Makes perfect sense.  You will be required to have a functioning machine with you at the hospital the day of surgery and it will make it easier to sleep soundly with it on. 

I also had a surgery to remove my gall bladder 5 months before my RNY and did not yet have my sleep ap machine.  The anesthesiologist was a jerk but they did the surgery anyway just kept me overnight.  He did not like the fact that I was diabetic and grilled me on the side effects of type 2 Diabetes for 10 minutes.  My calm, quie,t sweet husband told him to back off, and he wasn't the anesthesiologist that was with me the day of surgery.  Because I did not have a machine that night I was unable to sleep because every time I closed my eyes the monitors would go off because I breathe too shallowly. They do not like keeping patients over night if they don't have to so that may explain why they are doing a morning appointment instead and why they won't put you under.

As for your WLS the doctors are very familiar with sleep apnea patients and the anesthesiologists are great with plus sized people.  I had no problem with that process at all.  Good luck to you darling,

Anita

Anita

NewMe2.0
on 5/28/13 3:11 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Thanks Anita....I am feeling much better after reading all the responses...I was just thrown for a loop when this anesthesiologist seemed to have a hard time wanting to put me under for the day surgery...and it got me thinking and worrying about the RNY surgery.  But alas, my fears have been somewhat alleviated.

Thanks again..

Hope you are having an awesome journey.

Vicky

LadyScorpio3
on 5/28/13 3:29 am

Thanks Vicky,

I am having a great journey.  I am just 8 weeks out today.  I have a great wls support group that I'm involved with and there are people that are from all walks of life and at different stages.  It can be very educational.

If you have any other questions let me know and I'll see if I can help.

Got to go to work now, TTYL

Anita

Needanewbeginning
on 5/28/13 6:01 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

So here are my two cents for what they are worth. Sorry, long post. 

I died on November 26th 2011 in front of my two boys and husband. I had what's called a cardiac arrest, SCA. I know, I have told this story before, so move on to the next post if this is getting old.

Long story short, I was brought back after 25 minutes, long recovery, but here I am, still a few disabilities, like I need a cane and cognitive issues that don't allow me to work, but I am here. 

The reason for my SCA was because I had sleep apnea, I didnt know it therefore wasnt under treatment for it. I snored but having a cardiac arrest, come on!! Really? What is that anyway? A heart attack? Nope. Funny how I thought a heart attack and cardiac arrest were the same thing. Now having a brother in law who is a big wig anesthesiologist and fellow at a hospital in Florida SHOULD have given me more insight into the medical side of his job. Truth is, we only talked about my weight and how it is slowly killing me. Did we discuss snoring, no. He went so far as to pay me to loose weight. It worked, then of course I gained it back and more. Well that was a poor investment! 

Everything I know now, had I known then may have stopped my SCA from ever happening. I don't want this post to be a debate around whether or not its important to be checked for sleep apnea prior to any surgery. I am just sharing what happened to me. Yeah I know all about anesthesiologist's and their temperaments, trust me I know. But the bottom line is, THEY are responsible for your life, you air, your heart, all your vitals. They call the shots in an OR, not your surgeon. So, if you need cpap treatment, get it, period end of discussion. Damn, now I sound like my brother in law! 

He also has a couple of his staff that had wls and he said it completely changed their lives and I needed to consider it. He is the one who said Annette, Bobby (my hubby) saved your life, you were given a second chance to live. Make it best it can be, loose the weight through wls, it will be the best gift you ever give yourself. Ok now I have tears, for goodness sake. Well it wasn't an easy start for me with my wls last week and I had a serious complication, if anyone could have seen Bobby they would know (my surgery twin Melissa saw...ugh) how scared he was. But I made it once again! 

When I hear things like cpap is bogus or whatever, ok perhaps there are a few shady businesses out there, but this is serious stuff folks. I would never in a million years think snoring could cause a cardiac arrest. I lived to tell you it does and most often 96% of the time, we die and don't make it back.

Wow, sorry, I think I went a tad over what and how I was going to do this post, but I hope out of any of this, whoever reads this thinks twice before they wonder how important knowing if you have it or not prior to any surgery this really is. It's to save your life, nothing more than that. When I hear people have a cpap and don't use it because they 'can't' or its annoying, I pray someone is around that knows CPR and you better pray for your life. It took me months to get used to mine, I hate it, but its keeping my risk down, I have had two serious strikes, I don't want that third one to be OUT.

Annette 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

NewMe2.0
on 5/28/13 8:04 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Wow Annette...you made me cry.  Thank you for sharing your story...I am very glad you said it like you did. 

I am definitely getting the machine, no questions about it.  I live alone..so no one to wake me...I didn't even think I had it.  When I went back for my sleep test with the cpac on, I asked the girl that was to monitor me, in her experience, what was the longest time someone stopped breathing.  She said 60-90 seconds.  I went 93. (and i was only in light sleep).

I totally understand the anesthesiologists point of view...it just didn't help that he had no personality. 

I am so thankful for your post.  I had intended to take this diagnosis seriously, but was a little deterred when my friend made me feel stupid and naive, calling it a scam.  I know there is a doctor presently on charges for fraud...and unfortunately he has tarnished the industry somewhat.  I made sure I went to a clinic that was recommended, and it has no affiliation with any cpap supplier.

I also have to take into account that the government is partially funding these machines...

Anyway, I am going to keep a copy of your post close at hand, so when I find it frustrating or hard to get used to the machines etc, I can re read it. 

Thank you, once again.

I hope you are starting to recover from your surgery.

Vicky