8months PO, first major stall, and terrible flatulence

NHwahine
on 4/23/14 12:56 pm
RNY on 06/30/14

I have nothing helpful to offer except that I too, spit my drink at "THIS BLOWS".  I hope you find an answer soon!

Ready4Change1219
on 4/23/14 1:07 pm

i dont have any helpful answers for you but thank you for posting i have about a week and half til surgery and although aware of possible gas issues didnt realize the huge problem/embaressments its causing others (or me soon!) the few people that answered had good suggestions things i wouldnt have thought of so im glad i read your post good luck and thanks again

clessofme
on 4/23/14 2:14 pm
VSG on 12/19/13

I'm so glad you posted this. I am having the same problem.  It starts right after I drink my Premiere Protein shake in the morning.  I've wondered if it is caused by either artificial sweeteners or lactose intolerance. Is there such a thing as a protein shake without artificial sweeteners?

Cunning_Pam
on 4/23/14 2:29 pm
RNY on 12/18/13

Yes. There are brands out there that use Stevia for sweetness. Jay Robb is one, I'm not sure of the names of any others.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

clessofme
on 4/23/14 3:17 pm
VSG on 12/19/13

Thanks for your reply. I found a few brands that use Stevia, but think I will give Jay Robb a try. 

jefferytmc
on 4/24/14 2:06 am

First losing 12 lbs in 2 months is not considered a stall.  a stall is no loss.  Now I know you said you have seen the same number for a while, but when you say you only lost 12 lbs in 2 months, you will get some questions.

Also, you have lost a lot of weight and it will slow down and it will take time for your body to catch up.  Patience.

I know when I have done high protein diets in the past, my gas is smellier.

I do not have much to offer, but I do have a joke that relates.

One day this 90 yr old woman goes to see her doctor.  She says, doctor, I have a bad gas problem.  They do not smell and they are silent, but it just bothers me to no end to keep having gas all the time.  The doctor does an examination and prescribes some pills and tells her to come back in a week.  She does and when the doctor comes in, she says "doc, I still have the gas and it is still silent, but now it smells horribly, I do not think your pills worked."  The doctor says "now that we have fixed your sense of smell, we will work on your hearing."

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

Ms_Silly
on 4/24/14 9:40 am

I guess i needed to be more specific to suit you, I probably lost that 12 lbs between 6-7 months but the last 5 weeks no lbs at all. It really irritates me when someone feels the need to pick apart a simple forum post. I'm aware that I have list a good amount of weight at this point, but I'm 25 years old and so far my body has been transforming rather quickly, and I make the effort that it takes to get this far. I push myself and when I get bored, I push harder. Thanks for the response, I suppose. 

jefferytmc
on 4/25/14 12:06 am

1) I did not pick apart your post.  I simply made an observation.  Many people post about having a stall and in reality, they did not, they just did not lose as much as they wanted each week (.5 instead of 2 lbs).

2) I am the only one to even address your stall issue.  And I was just simply trying to get clarification about the duration or the details.

3) You lost 108 lbs in 7 months, with the last month losing 12.  That is an average of 15 lbs per month, which is phenomenal.    I do not know your height or your goal weight, but that is a huge amount of loss in such a short period of time and I am guessing you are getting pretty close to goal.

So yes, your body does not lose as fast as you get that far out and that much closer to goal.  Our bodies also get very efficient with our workouts, so we have to mix things up from time to time.  And if you were not eating carbs before, carbs can make you retain more water.  So if you are losing inches and not weight, that is probably what is happening.

I know it is frustrating and it is the not knowing how long it may last that is the kicker.  But keep doing what you are doing and your body will give it up when it is ready.  You also say you feel you are being reasonable with what you are eating, are you tracking it?  Are you using MFP or another tool to track?  Are you weighing and measuring everything you eat?

The smaller you get and the closer to goal you get the more precise we have to be in our intake.

Best of luck to you.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)