OK vets - I need help!

(deactivated member)
on 9/10/11 10:53 am - Naples, FL
VSG on 09/20/10 with
Whey (wheat) protein is available in most every health food, vitamin or GNC type store anywhere.

Everything does get better.  The first month is heII fo sho.  First 3 months aren't fun.
redheadtiff
on 9/10/11 11:01 am - Waxhaw, NC
Unjury Chicken Soup is really tasty and considered a clear liquid. It is a nice savory change from all the sweet protein options. It is high in sodium so I would only do 1 or 2 a day myself but when I was freshly post op, it was a great option to start getting my protein in while taking a break from sweet flavors.
Good luck and keep at it!

Tiff
I am a work of art in progress

fypcdqt
on 9/10/11 11:07 am - Cumming, GA
I was so excited until I got to their site and see that the processing equipment is also used with shellfish.  I am deathly allergic to seafood, shellfish, iodine, fish of all kinds.  Bummer!

Hislady
on 9/10/11 11:36 am - Vancouver, WA
Try some chewable lactaid tablets they make it possible to eat or drink lactose without problems. They are usually found in the digestive aisle at the grocery, near the gas-x products. It puts back the enzyme that is missing when lactose intolerant. It's the only way I can eat dairy, good luck!
OldMedic
on 9/11/11 12:24 am - Alvaton, KY
Lactose intolerance immediately after a sleeve (or bypass or DS) is quite common, because of the antibiotics that are put into the gut to prevent infections. The antibiotics kill the beneficial bacteria that help to digest milk and milk products.

You can EASILY deal with this by taking probiotics, which restore the natural bacteria to your gut.

You can get probiotics at any pharmacy, Wal-Mart, Vitamin.Nutritional Store, etc.  You do NOT need to stay on them for more than a few weeks.

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

OldMedic
on 9/11/11 12:28 am - Alvaton, KY
Lactose intolerance is VERY common following sleeve surgery (and with many other forms of WLS too).  It is caused by the antibiotics that you are given during surgery, which kill almost all (if not all) of the beneficial bacteria in your gut.  Those bacteria help you digest milk and milk products, and without them you are intolerant.

It is VERY easy to correct this.  Just take a good probiotic daily for a few weeks, and restore the bacteria to your gut.  They sell them at any pharmacy, at Wal-Mart, Vitamin/Nutrition Stores (like GNC, which is where I got mine), etc.

You won't be on them for life, one bottle should be more than adequate.

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

fypcdqt
on 9/11/11 3:16 am - Cumming, GA
Thanks!  I remember pre-op seeing people comment on becoming lactose intolerant, so it didn't totally surprise me, just more of an inconvenience.

Your explanation about the antibiotics during surgery make total sense.  Thanks!!!

Amy

kasamarie
on 9/16/11 5:28 am - LA
I have always been lactose intolerant, and today is the first day since surgery i've tried a shake. I used a scoop of pure whey protein isolate (which i found in Walgreens) blended with 4oz of "SILK" chocolate flavored lactaid milk (from walmart), 5 ice cubes and a splash of Davinci sugar free cherry syrup (bought in my grocery store). Made for an excellent "Black Forest" flavored shake.
VickyBT
on 9/16/11 6:14 am - MI
Try Lactaid milk.
Also my nut. said when we start eating eggs to try Egg Beaters
or egg white first because its the yolks that sometimes sit heavy when
we first try to eat them.  GOOD LUCK!
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
 Willing is not enough; we must do.? ~Johann von Goethe

VSG Aug. 30, 2011 HW 266 SW 249 GW 166 lbs.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 178 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views