Whats the reason we can't drink alchol?

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/11 1:45 pm
I had alcohol recently. I did not get drunk even though I had several drinks in one evening. So at least for me the it hits harder and faster is not true. It DID however stall my weight loss for a week. At least that's what I'm attributing it to. I don't think it's worth it. I will look forward to having another drink when I hit goal.
Mrs.Goose
on 9/11/11 2:03 pm

My doctor said no alcohol for at least a year.  I'm kind of surprised at how many are already drinking so soon after surgery.

Get in the COURAGE LANE ... There is hardly any traffic in that lane! 

tjosato
on 9/11/11 3:11 pm - Ofallon, IL
Im six months out.  Im a casual drinker, so I have alcohol maybe 6 times a year. I had some wine in June and I had 2 glasses this weekend. I have noticed post op that I can feel a warm burn in my sleeve when that first sip or 2 hits it. Never had that feeling before, especially with wine.  I do feel tipsy a little faster. Just slightly faster, nothing major. Havent tried my old favorite yet, Jack Daniels. I also havent had beer because my surgeon says no carbonated drinks for life.  YMMV

Steph4575
on 9/11/11 3:17 pm - TX
I think I'm going to try to wait until I hit goal to have my first drink. For no other reason than the empty calories. I still have a hard time getting in all my water and protein, so the wine, or hard alcohol wouldn't do well for me. Once at goal, I plan to have a small glass of wine with dinner to celebrate (its going to be my reward!), and you better believe I'm looking forward to it!

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/11 8:31 pm - Portland, OR
RNY on 05/04/15
According to my surgeon, this is mainly an issue for RNY because the lack of the pyloric valve means alcohol is absorbed at a much higher rate though.  But from what I've read, the addiction transfer/empty calories/roughness on a fresh staple line are all legitimate concerns for VSG, especially right off the bat.  I would gladly never drink alcohol again if I could still have soda though!
(deactivated member)
on 9/11/11 9:04 pm - MI
I drank at like week five. At first I did not even get a buzz. I drank vodka and water to avoid fizz. Now I drink socially which for me is like three times a week. I was a beer drinker before surgery. I drink beer now but I have to drink a darker beer cause it is less fizzy. Beware though it slows weight loss.
mojomom
on 9/11/11 11:59 pm
I have found my tastes have really changed since my sleeve 6 weeks ago.  My husband cracked open a nice bottle of red wine last week and I decided to have a taste -  Y-U-C-K!  I couldn't believe how terrible it tasted to me!  And I was thankful because I truly didn't feel I wanted to have any more, and I didn't feel like I was missing anything.  I have decided to wait until Xmas to have another glass of wine, and although I have loved red wine for years, I have a feeling white might be more appealing to me.

In the meantime, I drink wild blueberry juice.  It's really good for me, and it looks like wine when I pour it into a crystal glass!  I feel like a kid wanting to drink koolaid from a wine glass, but it really makes that juice feel special! 

Good luck to you, and keep making good decisions! 

Mojomom

stacezoe
on 9/12/11 12:09 am
Thanks for all the replies I am matron of honor in a wedding and just wanted to know if I could have a coctail...I am not a big drinker but am a social drinker when I'm out and away from my children and just wanted to know if I would do phyiscial harm to myself or what the reasons were, thanks so much for all the replies. Love having a place to go for my questions, you guys are the best.
 Inspiration move me brightly...Grateful Dead Terapin Station
  HW 286 SW 279 CW 231 40y/o 5'10  Month 1-17, 2-7#, 3- 7#, 4-3#,5-3#      
DragonGirl
on 9/12/11 12:50 am - MN
Stace,
If you do think you may want a drink at the wedding...try having a drink a different night. The first time I tried a drink...half way through, it hit me like a ton of bricks and I felt nauseous and yucky.

This is NOT something you want to experience at the wedding...so...'speriment and see if it works for you or not beforehand!

Heidi
  Age 49 Height 5'5" HW/280 SW/250 CW/157  
Behind every success is effort...Behind every effort is passion...Behind every passion is someone with the courage to try.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 361 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 407 views