Losing weight too slowly

itsjustmisty
on 2/5/19 9:52 am
VSG on 10/10/18

IMO when people get under 200lbs (surgery or not) I have noticed the weight is harder to come off. Typically the closer you get to a healthy body fat the slower the weight loss. Think of this by body percentage loss VS pounds lost. For instance, you have lost 56 pounds. That means you have lost already 24% of your body weight, but yet, I am just at say 4 months post op and lost 70 pounds but I have only lost 21% of my body. You essentially have lost more body percentage than I have even though I have lost more pounds than you have. At just 5 months in you are already less than half way to goal needing only 21% left. Don't be so hard on yourself. My surgeon said that majority of people lose the bulk of their weight the first 8 months and typically continue to lose through month 18 after that it's typically all on you. Of course everyone is different but this is speaking on average. You're doing fine. Patience is key.

Mthyui
on 2/5/19 9:58 am
VSG on 09/04/18

Thank you for this, I never thought about body percentage loss before, and 24% does sound like a lot. It's true that patience is key, and I tend to be very impatient at times, but truth is I have never lost this much weight, so I just need to remind myself of that whenever I feel like I haven't accomplished much.

Yarrow1981
on 2/7/19 2:56 pm
RNY on 12/14/14

I remember the pain of what you're feeling. The same thing happened to me; for the first few months, I thought the surgery wasn't working because I was losing on average 10 pounds a month. Eventually, the weight loss did increase at a faster rate. I'm 5 years out and have met my goal, although I still fluctuate 5 pounds, but have kept it all off for the most part and you will too. You got this ð?'ª

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views