Bypass surgery?

Neonanrs
on 10/22/19 6:15 pm

Yes, I started at 212. I opted for the sleeve. Not because I was scared of the bypass, but because I didn't have gerd and my doctor felt confident that I would do well with the sleeve.

I remember sitting in the doctors office talking to my surgeon telling him that he was not the person who was getting ready to have 3/4 of their stomach removed. And I will always remember what he said to me at that time. He said that no matter what he and his team will always be here for me. He said I can come there for the rest of my life. They will monitor my blood work, my mental health, my diet etc...this is the best decision I ever made. I am still a size 2 and health. I am just your average joe when it comes to intelligence. But I followed what they told me to do and have been successful and just like others on the board, I want to see others successful too.

Surgery date 9-23-15, SW: 212 CW: 125

Doctors goal reached in 6 months. Personal goal reached in 11 months

marysherba
on 10/22/19 8:42 pm
RNY on 12/27/19

I can't wait to be thin once again and not snore lol!

marysherba
on 11/7/19 6:11 pm
RNY on 12/27/19

Hi, just found out my endoscopy is normal with no GERD so I am hoping to get the gastric sleeve instead of the bypass surgery. I hope the doctor will agree.

Grim_Traveller
on 11/8/19 2:08 am
RNY on 08/21/12

You started the post saying you had GERD. An endoscopy wont show if you have it, or not. It can only show if you have damage from it.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Neonanrs
on 11/9/19 10:24 am

I have been trying to think of a way to respond to this post. So here goes nothing. I am thinking that you see the sleeve as more desirable than the bypass. But both surgeries serve the same purpose and if followed correctly after surgery yields the same results. The goal is to become healthier. You don't want to have this surgery and it corrects other problems but causes new ones. If you are experiencing heartburn or any form of GERD it is better to go with the bypass because you won't have to worry about that anymore.

Your doctor should have his success rates for both procedures. Success rates are determined by how many people lost over 80% of their weight and kept it off for 5 years or more. Trust your doctor, come on this site often until you have a handle on how to eat and keep the weight off. But most importantly don't be afraid or discouraged if he says to do the bypass because he is looking out for you. Just know in your heart that you are going to appreciate this second chance that you have to be healthier and not take if for granted later on down the road when the novelty of being smaller and healthier wears off. I hope this helps just a little

Surgery date 9-23-15, SW: 212 CW: 125

Doctors goal reached in 6 months. Personal goal reached in 11 months

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views