Any newer regrets?

jacqueline B.
on 11/24/04 5:06 am - houston, TX
please read my post , i tell you the truth,i donot sugar coat it, i am happy i had the surgery ,i would do it allover again , i call the first 6 weeks post -op hell weeks , after that every thing is better . i had no complacations, but the mental issue is almost unbarable
JG360
on 11/25/04 3:11 am
Theresa, I know a couple of people that had it done after I did that regret it now, but they can't eat everything that they used to eat. Lucky for me, I can still eat what I want, but I do it in moderation. I eat almost everything that I used to, just not in the portions that I used to. They are trying to eat Hamburgers, Burritos, pasta and stuff like that. I didn't eat much of that stuff before. If I feel like eating Lasagna, I eat Lasagna. I don't eat the whole plate (because I can't), but I will take a few bites. I eat NO sugar though, but have found that I am satisfied with everything so far that is sugar free. I have sf pumpkin pie in the fridge right now. It's good too. I also don't eat too many breads because, to tell you the truth, I don't like it. My friends regret it some times because they can't have their greasy tacos and greasy food like they used to. I'm glad that I didn't like that food before anyway. I am fat mostly because I eat steak and potatoes! A lot of it! Now I can only eat about a 4 oz steak and a bite or two of potatoes. That's enough for me to feel satisfied. Good luck in your journey and I hope you find the answers that you're looking for. Jesus
Shannon T.
on 11/25/04 1:24 pm - Largo, FL
I have surgery scheduled for 12/27/04. I am really starting to get scared and it is a month away. I am reading these "posts" about the regrets and I am really starting to wonder if this is right for me??? I have done a lot of research on the surgery and was fine with it until I started reading some of the regrets. I hope I am mentally strong enough to endure the mental aspects afterwards... I need to talk to my surgeon again!! Thanks for the info. Shannon
Gus H.
on 11/30/04 11:28 am - La Puente, CA
Thanks for posting this....I have the same feeling.....About not wanting to talk about it because they'll get flamed....
Paige A.
on 12/2/04 12:57 pm - GA
I do not recommend this surgery to anyone unless death is a certainty because of weight-related issues and co morbs. I have suffered from dehydration, malnutrition, severe ketosis, gastric dilatation, had to have a hysterectomy because of excessive bleeding and lack of iron absorption, and just last week, I had my gallbladder out, a hernia repaired, and large amounts of scar tissue removed from previous surgeries (including an emergency op I had due to the gastric dilatation). Roux-en-y is such a life altering (shattering) event; I can't even begin to tell you, but then again, no one could tell me,either,before I actually had the surgery and experienced all of these complications. I know ALL the arguments: I was going to die, anyway, I would rather die than live like this, only 1% of people die from this surgery, the chances of complications are slim to none, at least I'll fit into a smaller coffin, I want to be able to play with my children and be there for them, I have thoroughly researched this surgery and know everything that could go wrong: let me tell you, these statements don't mean a thing when your stomach blows up like a basketball, and you start throwing up hot, green water for hours on end and barely make it to the ER (surgeon said a few more minutes and I wouldn't be here); your research doesn't add up when you're so malnourished and dehydrated that you don't even have the energy to speak, let alone play with your children; your longing for a "new you" seems so petty and selfish when you wonder what will happen to your surviving family members when this decision you made leaves them without a mother, a wife, a daughter; none of it means anything when you just happen to be that one in a hundred or even that one in two hundred. Sincerely, Paige Alexander
Exoticsista
on 12/4/04 9:16 am - Columbia, SC
So Paige what was your reason for having the surgery? Did you have a lot of co-morbidities. What have you lost thus far?
Delma S.
on 5/1/05 11:26 pm - Brooklyn, NY
Hi Paige I would like to start by saying to u that i hope by now you r finally in good health. I just read your post and i am sorry you had to face all that. I had my surgery exactly 3 months ago and i have had some complications but nothing like yours. what bothers me the most in my case is the constant burping and worse the "burping attacks" as i called it. I still experience dumping a lot and my energy level is non existant at all. How are you now? Are you at leat any better? I know we dont know each other but you will be in my prayers....... God bless you Delma Sorrenti
(deactivated member)
on 12/14/04 11:59 pm - pittsburgh, PA
These are some of the best responses I have seen. I really appreciate everyones honesty. I have struggled with the descision about surgery for over two years. A good friend died post op due to complications and that has made my decision so much harder. I think that the advice that someone gave about having the surgery only if your co-morbitites would lead to death is very sound advice. I am 33 with a BMI of 57 but my only comorbites are GERD, Asthma and arthritis. My doctor has told me that the malnurishment that I would endure post op would shorten my lifespan just as much as morbid obesity. That was a real wake up call for me. So for now surgery is not a smart option for me. Thanks again for all of your honesty.
HeatherBlood
on 12/20/04 11:53 pm - Anchorage, AK
Jessica, who is your DR? Malnutrition will lead to a shorter life span? You have to take care of yourself and your DR should help you do that. I am 2 1/2 years post op and I have had no malnutrition problems. I eat protein first then if still hungry veggies then carbs. I take my vitamins and get my blood tested. I have had no malnutrition problems at all. I think you should talk to another DR about this. A BMI of 57 is horrible. Mine was only 45 and they did some tests on me and I had co-morbidities I was not even aware of, ie: I had elevated heart and liver enzymes that could lead me to a heart attack or liver failure, I was at very high risk from diabetes and the GERD I had led to a hiatal hernia that had me in the hospital thinking I was dying! Maybe this surgery isn't the option for you, but there are others that you could look into. Malnutrition is the least of your worries at this point. Your body is unhealthy at BMI 57! Good luck to you. Heather
Bobbi G.
on 12/21/04 5:54 am - Anchorage, AK
Hi Terri~ I just checked out your profile and have the same question the other lap banders posted--have you considered options for weight loss surgery, besides the RNY? Did your surgeon offer any alternatives? My BMI was 2 points higher than yours when I seriously looked into the lap band last summer. I had developed both sleep apnea (with a lovely CPAP machine--NOT) and high blood pressure (like 190/100!!-near stroke; now on two BP meds). I still have an 11 yo and 14 yo at home, and could not risk dying of either the weight loss surgery or comorbidities. Two friends had lap band surgery in Europe last year and both are doing great. Two coworkers who had RNY within the past two years, have used up all of their sick leave and nearly died from complications related to their surgeries. One was hospitalized last night with intestional complications--has two young kids. Merry Christmas? For me, I was not interested in losing weight quickly as much as I wanted to lose SAFELY, steadily, and not have my innards cut up and rearranged. I also think slower weight loss will help my skin "shrink" to fit my body, hopefully avoiding plastic surgery. In the past 10 years I've gained and lost the equivalent of my body weight. My hope is that with the band, I can lose the weight and KEEP it off, in a healthy way that will last a lifetime. Lap banders can generally eat what they want, just in smaller quantities. Weight loss of up to 2 lbs. a week is ideal, & YOU and the doctor regulate the loss with "fills." If you haven't checked into the banding option, it might be worth a look. Here's hoping you have a wonderful, happy & healthy New Year! Bobbi (ing on the loser's bench, and loving it!! )
Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 891 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8485 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9052 views
I want it reversed!
fatfifty · 8 replies · 11026 views