Always been curious about this board...

Simbaeyez
on 7/19/13 4:37 am - NY

I will check out the RNY board, but my closest friend had the RNY about a year after I had the BPD and I know that our problems, complaints and health issues are very different.  From the sound of it though, her problems sound more like those of a DS patient.  I guess I will read through both and see what further information I can pick up that might be relevant to BPDs too.  Hopefully I can get the revision and be a DS so the guess work will be removed.  Thanks for the guidance! :-)

southernlady5464
on 7/19/13 6:54 am

The difference between her RNY and your BPD may be that her RNY may have been proximal not distal. Also pouch size plays a big part in all this. As a BPD, your pouch is much larger than the average RNY'er.

So yes, there are differences but there are also similarities between them.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

MsBatt
on 7/17/13 11:05 am

Primarily, it's a quality of life thing. And, your surgeon might not have been comfortable with his ability to sew duodenal tissue---I've heard it compared to sewing wet tissue paper. Here's a comparison pic:

If you really have a Scopinaro BPD, you have a very large pouch, distal RNY. It looks like this:

A true DS (sometimes called a BPD with DS/duodenal switch) looks like this:

Simbaeyez
on 7/18/13 2:12 am - NY

Thank you!  The diagrams helped a lot! 

MsBatt
on 7/17/13 11:08 am

Ah---just realized who your surgeon was. I suggest finding some other surgeon to help you now.

Simbaeyez
on 7/18/13 2:13 am - NY

Why do you suggest a different surgeon?  I never had any problems with her 11 years ago.  Is there something I should know about her or her practice now?

MsBatt
on 7/18/13 2:39 am

Yes. She's become very pro-LapBand, very anti-DS. I *suspect* the reason she gave you a BPD without the DS is because her surgical skills just weren't up to doing the sewing of the duodenum that the DS requires. She and her husband have developed a poor reputation in the bariatric community.

Simbaeyez
on 7/18/13 2:48 am - NY

Really?  Wow...I am surprised and saddened.  Guess I will need to look under revisions and see who is highly recommended now in NYC.  Thanks for the heads up! 

Simbaeyez
on 7/18/13 2:14 am - NY
Simbaeyez
on 7/18/13 2:16 am - NY

It is a BPD without DS.  Keep in mind..I am 11 years out of surgery. :-)

Most Active