The potato chip diet

Lisey
on 6/23/11 7:24 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
You're so funny, Julie.  I love your honesty.

I think some people do malabsorb more than others.  I have also read a few people who feel that eating things with a lot of butter or fat will help coat the food so that it slides on through without as much absorption as it would if you had eaten it with less fat.  I can see why that might be true - to an extent.  So,maybe it's a combination of pt 1 & pt 2 for you?

I can get away with eating an awful lot of crap without gaining weight.  It takes really massive amounts to make me gain weight at this point, BUT, I only reached 2 yrs out in March so I can't really compare my experiences with yours. 

I went on a chocolate eating stint from around Christmas through mid-April.  I honestly ate like 1/2 a chocolate candy bag PER DAY, on average.  That's not to say that I didn't have other things with some sugar in it, like 35gms of sugar in cappaccino every morning & at least 1 piece of fruit/day.  Other things that weren't low carb, but were gluten free (easier for me to digest).

Eating like that, I gained about 5 pounds in 5 months.  I've now lost that again in the course of 2 months.  I still eat probably around 100 - 150gms of sugar or carbs combined daily & lost weight :)  Yet, that's probably at least 400 absorbed calories less per day than I was getting.

Dang.  I love my DS.

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

Julie R.
on 6/23/11 7:48 am - Ludington, MI
 Dark chocolate does not seem cause weight gain with me either.   I eat some almost every day.   As a matter of fact, my lovely sister is on her way up north as I type this with four GIANT bars of Trader Joe's dark chocolate.   Our nearest TJ's is 250 miles away.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 6/23/11 9:42 am
Dark chocolate is full of anti-oxidants, even if it is a guilty pleasure it can be good for you

For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

Not yo business OH
on 6/23/11 8:10 am
Go Girl! You got guts! I appreciate you posting this. After my post the other day, I was feeling pretty guilty. Since flour gives me horrible gas, I have tried to cut it out to save my marriage. I eat potatoe products pretty frequently. I love a baked potatoe with tons of butter, turkey, ham, roast beef, any meat, and tons of melted cheese. I really messed up big time today. I was having a really good protein day and then my mom gave me some twizzlers. Dummy me ate some of them. Well guess what the second ingredient is....Wheat flour! I would have never guessed. anyone looking for a roomy? A stinky roomy?

Anyway. Thanks Julie for posting. I hope I am doing as well as you at 5 years out. T

Ht: 5'7"  HW/247ish   SW/234    CW/141-145  (Over 100 pounds lost in 8 months!)    
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 6/23/11 2:51 pm
Keep some twizzlers under your pillow for emergency ammunition!
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

butercup
on 6/23/11 3:21 pm - Kennewick, WA
You have no idea how much I covet your particular DS turn out.  I love potato chips and I have the most delicious dip that I will be able to have after surgery.  sigh.  It's a bacon cheddar dip and I got the recipe from a grocery store that was discontinuing it due to moving to all premade deli items.  It's gooooood. :)