Two fold question; 1) An age inventory & 2) How Long....

DAN PACKARD
on 1/8/07 1:48 am - KOKOMO, IN
Bob As to question one, I had my RNY at age 62 in Nov 205. I had no problems with the surgery, but I have found out that I still can do exercise etc. that some of the younger men on here do. As to question 2, you will be the topic of conversation when you start to lose weight rapidly. I was always open to anyones questions. I was proud to finally have control over my weight. Dan
Bill H.
on 1/8/07 2:10 am - Rapid City, SD
Can't answer the age question, since I am only 36. I had my surgery 3 months ago and have been the main discussion of everybody I know. I am not bothered by it. Infact, I always knew that the world evolved around me and I should be the center of thier attention. HA HA. Seriously, my wife is an RN and we have a lot of Medical professionals as friends. I am actually suprised at the number of nurses and doctors that are clueless about this type of surgery. I find that I am educating them about this surgery. Bill
perryla
on 1/8/07 3:20 am - Gastonia, NC
Bob I was 45 when I had the surgery two years ago. Now, I'll be sliding into 48 in April and can't wait. Life is sooooooo much better as a thin man. At two years out the novelty wears off and your family and friends hardly remember you as the fat man. New people I meet never know unless they make a smart comment about someone else's weight. Then I pull out my 363 pound before picture and then tear them apart for the narrow minded views. (I have very little tolerance for people who can't accept others for what and who they are.) Good luck on your journey. WAD
Jay from NY
on 1/8/07 11:20 am - New york, NY
I believe my surgeon goes up to 65 years of age. Most people who know that you had RNY are extremely interested in it & want to talk about it. I have found thatit dominates the conversation still after a year out from surgery. I have never had negative reaction, only enthusiastic support. That said, I chose not to tell everyone at work. Good luck. Jay
FatManWalking
on 1/9/07 5:30 am - Deep in the Heart of, TX
RNY on 12/11/06 with
Bob, I can not speak to the age issue, but I have an extremely public job. Beyond my work, I am president of a state-wide trade association and speak at quarterly meetings to over 300 of my collegues. While I am only a month out from surgery, I am down over 50 pounds since I started my pre-op diet. I finds guys don't ask too many questions, other than stating that I look good. Some women have really inquired as to what I am doing to lose the weight etc. Depending on my relationship with them, how well I know them, trust them, etc. I either tell them I am on the Wendy's Chilli and Cottage Cheese diet, or sit down and go over the whole thing with them in detail. While I make it no secret that I have had surgery, I am not advertizing it either, and I tend to only go into detail with collegues or friends that have been around a long time. I think it is easier for guys in this area than women. If a women that has been morbid obese for 20 years all the sudden drops 100+ pounds, everyone is all over her about it. For guys, it is different. However, I will update you after my next quarterly meeting on Feb 22. At the Q4 2006 meeting, I was 346+. Right now I am 294. By Feb 22, I should be around 250 ish. There will be about 300 people at the Feb meeting that have not seen me since the Q4 meeting, so I will let you know how it goes. Good luck with whatever you choose to do! JP
Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 32 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 32 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 68 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 92 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 102 views