Wharton Medical Clinic - Disappointed

Rickela44
on 7/4/19 12:01 pm
On February 16, 2011 at 10:03 AM Pacific Time, Jackie P. wrote:
So I just left my 2nd visit at Wharton Medical Clinic and I am really disappointed and a bit pissed off.

I don't see how this clinic is really beneficial to an obese person. They want you to go every 6 weeks. Isn't part of healthy eating for us, the accountability?

Who is there to help me if I can't make it to 6 weeks? Every time I'm there I met with a different doctor and a different bariatric educator, and those Bariatric Educators (BE), don't really seem to care one bit!

She gave me my meal plan and ran through it in about 5 minutes, didn't really give me much help at all. Thank Goodness I know how to do it, or I'd be really confused.

Then the doctor comes in, asks about any changes in meds, etc, and says, Are You Motivated? I said No. He says, Well this is for you. and THAT'S IT. Huh? No words of encouragement from anyone? He then tells the BE to write in my file, encouraging words given. Really? That was encouraging? He listened to my heart and he left.

At one point I asked the BE, I'm a little confused how this place helps an obese person? She noted the classes and coming to get weighed once a week. I asked do you speak to anyone when you get weighed? She said, well the nurse who weighs you.

Oh.

It feels like it is an OHIP money grab to me.

Is it me? Am I expecting miracles?

Does anyone feel the same way as me? Any other better experiences?

And here I thought it was just me.

Dr Wharton has latched onto a real Government sponsered cash grab. The only success I had was not wanting to show some improvement each visit so I did it on my own. There wasn't much help from these Bariatric kids right out of school and every time a different doctor that was totally indifferent to my needs. Your experience was my "exact" experience.

In Feb my Dr signed me up with the diabetic Centre on St Catharines and they have been awesome.

The group (about 10 of us) had a full morning Introduction with two very qualified (and interested) and experienced nurses. Lots of good practical information. This has been followed up by one on one meeting to discuss my progres and make suggestions how to improve with detailed explanations why.

I started at 240+lbs, I'm today at 219, my Cholesterol is still high, but I cut it in half, my blood pressure is way down, and my sugars are now non-diabetic. I feel great and continue to improve.

I hope someone who cares will read this (and yours) and do something about Wharton because I'm pissed too!

And yes, the Diabetic centre is covered by OHIP!

JodzGal1979
on 2/17/11 4:12 am - Canada

Hijack! John your avatar makes you look like Harrison Ford!

You look fantastic!

Trisha
Started Process Oct 2009
June 10th 2010 - Surgery
My  is Patrina
HW: 409.8lbs, Optifast SW: 391.8, SW: 366 SGW:210 GW200 

Most Active
Recent Topics