Thank god I haven't had surgery yet..and a question or 2

kellybelly333
on 6/26/13 3:12 am - Toronto, Canada

I'm so sorry for your loss.

As for emotional eating. When a death or illness has occured in my life (only a few times for me since my RNY), I have gone the opposite of my usual emotional eating and barely get food in. I have hypoglycemia, so I have to eat to keep standing. For any other big stress I can have bingeing tendancies (as prior to surgery). I go to therapy. Perhaps get in now at your centre?

I had to sign that I might end up with a VSG due to having an open appendectomy. I just did research between the two and prepared myself that way. It didn't deter me at all. I was a regular Advil user, so I thought that if I didn't get malabsorption, at least I could still take Advil. I ended up with RNY. they won't really know until they get in there. I'm having my gallbladder removed next month, and I had to sign that it might end up open surgery, instead of laproscopy, due to my RNY...but chances are low. Still has to be signed, it's the law.

Good luck, and take care!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Darksyde
on 6/26/13 1:15 pm
Thanks to everyone for their kind replies. Right now, I think it's the waiting for the surgeon call that has me all freaked out. No matter what surgery I get, I'll rock it, I'm sure.

Orientation - 05/04/13  Social Worker - 08/04/13  Nurse Practitioner - 07/05/13  Nutrition Class - 13/05/13  Psych Assessment - 04/06/19  Nutritionist - 19/06/13  Dr. Urbach - 19/07/13  PATTS - 02/08/13  SURGERY AT TWH - 13/08/13  HW-393 Opti Start-386  SW-347

Onward and
Downward

on 6/26/13 8:58 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

I am so sorry to hear about your Mom!  That is really sad, and that would throw anyone off, especially before surgery.

My experience (I'm only 7 months out) has been that the difference between being pre-op and post-op is night and day when it comes to urges to eat.  I could not control myself at all before surgery and didn't really try much either.  Food funerals were very common for me before surgery.

After surgery, it has been different.  During the "honeymoon" period, I wasn't feeling hunger or cravings at all - it was a struggle to get enough food IN.  Now, the hunger and some cravings are back, but nothing like they were before.  And yes, I do have the urge to do emotional eating, but it's completely different now if I "give in", because you just can't fit much in.

And by the way, I've had wine (since 6 months), and I've also had pizza a couple of times when there was nothing else available at a party.  But I had a lot less than I would have pre-op, and you can do that sometimes.  You just have to watch portions, and honestly, if you're not stretching your pouch regularly, you just CAN'T eat huge portions of it after surgery anyhow.  So don't worry.  You'll do fine.

People who are further out would probably tell you that I'm still in the honeymoon period since I still have malabsorption and am still losing relatively easily, and I agree with them.  So I'll leave it to them to tell you what it's like further out - I can only tell you what I've experienced so far.

We will all face traumatic events in our lives after surgery, and we'll cope as best as we can with the new tool and with our experience of using it wisely. 

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Most Active
Recent Topics