Going home from hospital, how much help do you need?

Helna_Handbasket
on 7/28/15 5:06 am - OWEN SOUND, Canada

I love that you asked this.  I'm single too and I live a few hours away from Toronto.  I had plans for a "team" of help but after talking to others who live in my area who've had surgery, I made the decision to come home after being released.  I know I'll feel better & sleep better at home than in some hotel.  My dad is going to stay a night, but other than that, my friends are popping by.  I know myself well enough that I don't want people fussing around me.  As for having someone stay a couple of nights, your call.  see how you're feeling.  Just make sure your phone is charged should you need it.  I've got my "nest" of stuff ready for when I get home, and a spot under the trees in the back yard to read my books.  Thinking about it - have you read of anyone needing to return to the hospital ASAP after release?  I don't think I have.  I could be wrong.  anyway - you've got plenty of support through here!!  

Referral: August 2014 Orientation: 28Nov14 Social Worker: 05Feb15 Nurse Practitioner: 25Feb15 Nutrition Class: 30Mar15 Dietitian: 14Apr15 Psychologist: 21Apr15 NP followup: 23Apr15 Meet Surgeon: 26June15 Start Opti/PreOp: 21July15 Surgery!: 04Aug15!! 

I keep a blog... you're welcome to read it anytime :)  https://heretoeaternity.wordpress.com/

Catw
on 7/28/15 9:12 am - Arnprior, Canada

You will need a drive to and from the hospital.  Trust me, you won't feel like driving home.  And have your chauffeur bring a pillow for pick up unless you bring your own to the hospital.  You'll rest a lot the first while.  I think that you should be fine with neighbour check ins.  Maybe have someone call a few times the first day.  Talk to your nurse neighbour as well, she may know of some tips for you to be prepared.

Cathy

B-Trix123
on 7/28/15 9:33 am - Toronto, Canada

I will take a cab to the hospital - but have a ride home in the works. Heard a lot about the pillow so will heed that advice!

Catw
on 7/28/15 9:39 am - Arnprior, Canada

Having someone pick you up from the hospital is better than a cab.  They'll make sure that you are in, safe and sound and that you are set up with everything you need (including making sure you have your phone).

The pillow definitely will help during "construction season" ;o)

Cathy

Laura in Texas
on 7/30/15 11:02 am

I needed help with my kids, but did not need anyone to help me (I did have someone else drive me home). I had ready-to-drink protein shakes on hand and a chair in my shower, but that's about all I needed.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."