Packing for the Hospital?

Monica M.
on 4/19/18 10:17 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

something for dry lips. hand lotion.

SweetRide1
on 4/19/18 6:22 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

I brought my own Premier Protein Drinks because I was told that the hospital shakes were not very good.

My room was so hot that I had a fan brought from home. I was absolutely dying of the heat.

Facecloth, towel, soap, and wet wipes.

And my phone...not going anywhere without my phone. LOL

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

1979bigmama
on 4/22/18 2:22 pm

I just had surgery on Tuesday...

These were my key items!

Bottled water ( hated the taste of hospital water)

Lip chap

Lotion

Loose t shirt and shorts

Loose bra with no underwire (i have an incision between my breasts at the top of my stomach...underwire digs in while sitting)

My tablet...used it as a timer for drinking water, netflix, i would watch an episode then walk a lap or two

Good Luck!!!

HW: 265 GW: 160 - Surgery: Kingston, ON - HDH

Referral Aug 2017, Intro Class Sept 2017, 1:1 Oct 2017, Sleep Clinic Dec 2017 & Jan 2018, CPAP Feb 2018, Pre-Op Class Feb 28, 2018, Meet the Surgeon March 2, 2018, Optifast Mar 27th, Surgery April 17th

Always give it YOUR 100% and remember everyone's 100% is different!

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/23/18 7:21 am, edited 4/23/18 12:22 am

One of a most important thing for me was to put a pillow in the car for a trip back home after the surgery. Really important. Anything else - a bonus.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

GRANDMAr
on 4/24/18 12:17 am
VSG on 10/21/16

Hi!

Don't pack too much to do in the hospital. Chances are you will be on pain meds and too tired to really get involved in anything that will take too much concentration.

Let me suggest the following:

1. Do NOT take a nightgown or robe. It is easier to wear the hospital gown. You can ask for a second gown that you can wear backwards when you want to leave your room.
  2. Take a to put over your belly for the ride home. It will protect your belly should you (heaven forbid) be in an accident. Also, it will prevent your seatbelt from rubbing against any incisions.
  3. Take a LONG charger cord for your phone and/or tablet (etc.) if you are taking one. Use a LONG cord since you don't know where the outlets will be.
  4. Some people bring Gas X with them. You will have gas and some hospitals do not give you anything to take. Talking meds, see what your hospital will provide you with regarding your daily meds. See what you have to bring.
  5. You probably won't need slippers IF the hospital puts socks on you with grips on the bottom.
  6. As far as clothes:
    1. Wear something with a stretch band to the hospital that you can wear home. It is the most comfortable since you don't know where your incisions will be.
    2. Wear a comfy t-shirt.
    3. Fresh undies for going home.
  7. If you hospital does NOT supply toiletries take your own:
    1. Toothbrush, toothpaste and mouthwash (your mouth might feel yucky from the anesthesia).
    2. Deoterant
    3. Chapstick!!!!!!! Your lips WILL get dry
    4. Hair brush or comb. Something to tie your hair back if it is long.
  8. If you are going to have a long trip home, be sure to have water for the ride that you can sip. Rule of thumb, 1 ounce every 15 minutes.

Hope this helps!

Good luck!

Ronnie (GRANDMAr)

Scary.Airy
on 4/24/18 12:20 pm

Thank you so much everyone, for all the tips, this is great!!

Luckily, I live pretty relatively close-ish to the hospital, so the trip home will be not too bad, but I will for sure throw a pillow in there. Funny, I remember having a small, hard pillow for both my c-sections and they really came in handy for coughing and sneezing, but mainly for laughing. Which... if I am going to be walking around, encouraging toots... I anticipate I will be laughing a lot... because I am mature like that.

Most Active
Recent Topics