Morphine pump and Drain

Azskyprincess
on 11/6/08 12:54 pm - CA
Revision on 01/30/12
I had a pain ball that hung around my neck fed meds right into the tummy area it was AWESOME I also had a pain pump I called it Mr Happy ...I am alergic to morphine so I had Diladud ?? worked great ...I did not have a drain mine was lap RNY and my Dr does not do drains ...thinking back I never really had any pain ...and that made me very happy
(deactivated member)
on 11/6/08 1:42 pm - Falls Church, VA
 I had the Morphine pump for 72 hours, On-Q (this is a pouch that hangs around your neck/arm that has 2 tubes going into your stomach area to numb it and alleviate pain -- I had to pull the tubes myself after it ran out 5 days later...that was hard and the one was very painful coming out).  However I had no drains.  Kinda glad I didnt when I hear about people having it in for 3-5 weeks, but my hospital stay was 5 days because I had a high temp.  It turned out to be nothing, but I think it could have been a little bit of an infection from not having a drain.
Azskyprincess
on 11/6/08 1:49 pm - CA
Revision on 01/30/12
yep thats what I had those tiny tubes I called them worms hahaha worked great they took mine out just min before I left the hospital ...
MultiMom
on 11/6/08 8:18 pm - NH
I had the pump, used it to go to sleep the first night. No drain.....

Martha

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

vortexbanding
on 11/7/08 6:32 am - New Orleans, LA
 i just got home from the hospital today.

i had a morphine pump from wednesday (surgery****il this morning.  the morphine did not touch my pain, but it made me sleepy so i used to for sleeping. 

i did not have any drains (other than my catheter).  my surgeon does not use drains, usually.
jayner
on 11/7/08 6:55 am - Littleton, MA

I had a morphine pump, but no drain. My pain level was a two, occasionally a three on a scale of one to ten. I only used it a couple of times. One night I had terrible restless leg syndrome and found that morphine really helps it go away!

Jayne

Calif_Princess
on 11/7/08 8:44 am - Louisville, KY
WOW, thanks everyone for all your replies!!!  They are greatly appreciated, believe me!!!!

Vortex, GRATS on your new surgery!!!  I'm glad it went well for you and I'm sending you healing thoughts  :O)

Brandy, also congrats on your plastics!!  I hope you heal fast too.  I'm so excited for you.  I can't wait to have my plastics.... heheh... but I still have to wait for my RnY.  I have no idea how I'll pay for it though....

Kimberly, yes, that's the book.  I'm still not done with it yet, but I got caught up with the morphine pump and the drain...lol

I hope I don't have the drain.  It sounds, awkward, at best.  I also hope I get some other kind of pain meds other then the morphine.....  eeek

Thanks again all of you for your replies!!!  Have a great weekend!

~Melissa~
Start 286/Current 265/ Goal 150

kmbrly247
on 12/27/08 4:20 pm - Monmouth, OR
I had my surgery on 12/12/08. I requested a substitute for the morphine since my family has a history of problems with it (I've never used it before and didn't want to take any chances.) The pump was my very best friend for the first night. I didn't need it much after that and was put on oral pain meds my second day in the hospital. I did not have a drain of any kind, which I am glad of. The only pain I really experienced was from the IV's that had to be replaced twice...something to do with my veins. I suppose each surgeon/hospital has their own reasons for doing the drain. Fortunately, mine does not commonly use this method.

Best of luck to you!

Calif_Princess
on 12/28/08 11:52 am - Louisville, KY
CONGRATS on your surgery Kmbrly!!!

A few weeks ago I had to have a colonoscopy and they did use morphine and I was SICK to my stomach for 4 days after that.  I've had 3 other colonoscopys before, no morphine used, so I'm assuming it was the morphine....so I'm going to request a different pain killer.  :O(

I'm glad to hear that pain isn't too much of a problem after surgery, so maybe there's hope for a big baby like me  :O)

~Melissa~
Start 286/Current 265/ Goal 150

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 427 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 508 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 490 views