Is it ok to freeze protein shakes? Looking for a scientific answer (and not opinions)

waitinggame
on 3/12/09 2:04 am - Bowie, MD
Do you think it might be because the beverage expands when frozen and might cause the container to leak/break? Just a thought--not scientific by any means!

Denise

Check out my blog--menumealplanning.com. Tales of making meal planning managable, family fodder, and everything else under the sun. 

RNY 2/3/09, LBL/BL w/Augmentation 9/16/11
Start weight: 335 Current weight: 185 Goal weight: Whatever the hell I can maintain without driving myself insane

ButterflyCenturyCard-5.gif picture by barbccrn

*6.5 lost preop

Dave Chambers
on 3/12/09 2:19 am - Mira Loma, CA
Changes in texture are quite possible, make them not very appealing. The operative part of the study is "To assess whether freezing might be a suitable alternative method for preservation of concentrated whey protein solutions, the effects of frozen storage must be studied further."  Which leads me to conclude that the study is not 100% conclusive. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Wendi W.
on 3/12/09 2:28 am - Waukegan, IL
I drink EAS rtd's, and I put a couple in the fridge top shelf in the back and they accidently froze. 

What happened is when they had thawed out, they were grainy and the flavor had changed.
Wendi

palestrino
on 3/12/09 3:08 am
Thank you all for your replies. I'm less than 2 weeks post-op and already can't stand my shakes anymore. I had been using Unjury and just switched to GNC 28g and I noticed that if I prepare the shake and immediately freeze it, I'm able to tolerate it much better (I have it two hours later almost like an italian ice cream). But I just want to make sure I'm still getting the same nutrition I would if I had not frozen it.

The article posted suggests that there are not major changes to the proteins which is very encouraging.
KCNEPA
on 3/13/09 1:06 am - SCRANTON, PA
instead of freezing Your shake, why don't You put it in a mixer, with 3 or 4 ice cubes, and mix it up? You have the same result, without the worry to destroy Your protein.  Also, to get a little more taste, and less 'protein flavor' try to put some frozen strawberries in the shake, or a 1/2 banana... mix it all up... yumm!!  You can also ad some sf/ff syrup ...hope that helped. Karin
Pam T.
on 3/12/09 4:03 am - Saginaw, MI
Ok... stop for a moment and really, really think about what you just asked.  It's food.  Specifically whey protein powder is made from milk.  Ice cream is made of milk.  Fudgesicles are made of milk.  Cheese is made of milk.  All those things can be frozen, right?  So why would you not be able to freeze whey?

Just the same as heating protein powder does not change the protein content... freezing it won't do anything either.

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

palestrino
on 3/12/09 4:52 am
Pam, you are wrong. Whey protein will start to denature at 140 degrees.
Cleopatra_Nik
on 3/12/09 5:13 am - Baltimore, MD

Which is why you don't mix whey powder with boiling liquids.  You CAN however mix it with lukewarm or room temperature liquids to form a paste and THEN add boiling water.  My NUT says the protein stays in tact that way and I have found through personal experience that there isn't a problem with the consistency.  I drink cocoa with whey powder nearly every night.  This is in no way scientific...but I've lost 140 lbs. so I'm thinking it hasn't harmed me.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

FastFingers ~*~
on 3/13/09 4:26 am

If you already had all the answers, palestrino, why did you ask us?

Flying Spagetti Monster

"Doubt everything.  Find your own light."
--
Last words of Gautama Buddha, in Theravada tradition

Our Lady of the Holy
Rollers

on 3/12/09 10:42 am
Yes, your post does sound tremendously unfriendly.

Gotta wonder. . . why do you come to a message board if all you want is scientific evidence, and refuse hearsay or anecdotal evidence?

Why not just Google and do your own research??

-----------------------------------------

Our Lady of the Holy Rollers

That's not a tiara. I just bedazzle my horns.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 436 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 359 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 360 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 164 views
Recent Topics