HELP!!! Flax causing constipation???

Lady Lithia
on 3/24/11 1:13 pm
Thanks.... I thought that was what you meant, but wanted to be SURe!

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Ladytazz
on 3/24/11 2:54 pm
I have had the same experience with flax meal. I took one tablespoon and was impacted. Happened the second time so I put two and two together.
Last week I made mini meatloaves with 1/2 cup flax meal in the whole recipe of 6 mini meatloaves and the same thing happened. I'm afraid to eat any of the loaves I have frozen. That was the start of my latest problems with constipation.
I called my surgeon about my hernia that I believe developed because of my straining and she asked with I was doing about the constipation. I told her that in the last few days I have used:
Miralax, Fiber Choice, milk of magnesia, flax meal, magnesium oxide, an enema, stool softeners, suppositories and Smooth Move tea. I think that is all but there may be others. I spend more money on constipation cures then I do on vitamins, at least it seems that way. And I still strain so much I get a hernia.
I seem to get a regiment going and all is good for a few weeks and I think I've got this handled and then it goes out of whack again. I'm at a loss as to what to do. I am doing Vitalady's recommened schedule but so far it isn't helping much.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

twincredible
on 3/24/11 10:55 pm
Thanks for all the info.  I am sorry to hear that I have so many fellow sufferers.....it is truly horrible!  I have struggled with diarrhea all of my life, so being constipated is new and awful! 

I have a question about the magnesium oxide.  Is there a specific form I need to look for that we are able to absorb, or can I just take any brand/form that I find?  Also, how do you know how much to take?  Hala - I saw that you take between 800-1200mg a day.  How do you determine that?

Thanks!
Melissa
HW 320/SW 280/CW 149.5 /GW 145

clsino
on 3/24/11 11:32 pm
These are all good tips.  I am heading into another surgery next month and the anesthesia always gives me severe constipation.  I was planning on doing shakes 2 days prior to the surgery and miralax a week before surgery in hopes that I could avoid a horrible case of constipation.  Nothing like being in pain from surgery and add that on top of it. I already eat flax seed daily in hopes that it will help my sky high cholesterol. 

Christy

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?