AFRAID OF ANESTHESIA

MissStaci
on 4/21/11 12:06 am - Pompano Beach, FL
I'm scheduled for the same day!

I'm really nervous about the anesthesia, like you I've never been under general. BUT thanks to my colonoscopy (never thought I'd say that) I sort of know how it will feel now. It did feel like falling asleep and waking right back up.

You'll be completely under when you're intubated (you have to be for them to be able to intubate you) and except for maybe sensations in your throat afterward you probably won't remember you were tubed at all.
FIRSTMAMA25
on 4/21/11 12:31 am - CONROE, TX
Thanx for the responses really helpful.
silli-jilli
on 4/21/11 1:09 am - WI
Thanks for posting the question. I feel the same way and all the responses were/are very reassuring!! :)

Good luck!  I have surgery May 31st.
allvalerie
on 4/21/11 3:46 am - Seward, AK
If you are really nervous- let your surgeon and anesthesiologist know. They can give you a sedative to help keep you calm before they wheel you into the OR.

My experience was- in the waiting room my surgeon asked how I was and laughed at me for being to calm. The anesthesiologist introduced himself. They rolled me in the OR and asked me to hop on the table and the anesthesiologist said here is some oxygen and take a deep breath and I was out.

My first thought was -that was not oxygen! and I was disappointed I didn't get to count backwards lol

Valerie
BobbeJoJo
on 4/21/11 4:18 am
I was terrified of going under.  I had a bad experience when I had my wisdom teeth removed -- they didn't knock me out enough and I developed panic attacks after that.

I wrote my surgeon and anesthesiologist before surgery and I told them about my phobia.

On the day of surgery I was shaking I was so scared.  I listened to my iPod while I waited for surgery. 

When I walked into the OR it was bright and there was a big clock that scared me.  I started to have a panic attack and I squezed the nurse's hand so hard.  But my anesthesiologist put me under so quick that I didn't have time to think. 

Anesthesiologists who work with WLS patients know that sometimes we need more medication than a smaller person.

I don't even remember recovery.  In fact, I misunderstood how often I could push my pain pump and I wish I had known I could pu**** more.  I don't remember anything until I was in the elevator being taken to my room after recovery. 

I hate hospitals.  I am not real fond of doctors.  Yet, I made it.  And I would do it again if I had to. 

Now if I need future surgeries (I hope I do not) I will not be scared of the anesthesia. 

Let them know you're scared and they will help you out.

My thoughts are with you!

Highest weight: 331 (4/13/10), Entered Bariatric Program: 320 (9/7/10), Pre-Surgery Goal: 310, Day of Surgery: 307 (2/15/11), Current Weight: 171 (5/12/12). 5'5". I am overweight now!
FIRSTMAMA25
on 4/22/11 1:35 pm - CONROE, TX

THANX, THAT IS MY MAIN PHOBIA, MY MOM TOLD ME A PHOBIA ABOUT GETTING A PROCEDURE YEARS BACK, AND THEM NOT SEDATING HER ENOUGH AND SHE COULD FEEL WHAT THEY WERE DOING, SO I AM JUST GONNA PRAY ABOUT IT, THANX FOR YOUR UR RESPONSE.

Heather M.
on 4/22/11 9:46 am - MI
Hi, I have not yet had my WLS, but I've had enough surgeries in the past and I now know what to expect and the tricks that work for me.

First, I explain to anyone at all that will listen, my fear of the IV and the actual moment of being put asleep. The more people that know, I felt better. I would say it over and over again to my surgeon (L Hip arthroscopy -with dislocation (which really scared me)). Anyhoo, in the prep area, the anesthesiologist will come see you (usually about 30 min prior to surgery). I drilled it into his head to please NOT just give me the sleeping drug directly. I asked him to please ease me into it. Yes, of course he said. I asked for something to calm me because as soon as I see an IV I go totally nuts. I also asked him... I know this will sound weird, but can you give me the relaxation med and not really tell me you are doing it? (Because the anticipation, the knowing it's going in right now is the worst part).

Somehow he got the 'relaxation' meds into me without me knowing and I go to my BF that was there... I think they just gave me the relaxation stuff, and in fact they had. They started wheeling me away and I just smiled and waved at my BF as we went "Weeee, I'm gonna take up drinking if it feels this good" I said as I got wheeled in. I remember getting on the Op table and my surgeon was there and I was the funniest 'drunk' I remember saying.. Hey.... everyone... that's my doctor. How are you! OMG, long time, it's so good to see you!'. Then I was out. Then a split second later I heard people talking in the bckground, that was the recovery room..

Anyway, what I wanted to advise is this:
1. Let it be clear to everyone you see that will be working on you that you are scared to go directly under and that you kindly request they give you something for relaxation
2. If you feel more comfortable.. ask them to give it to you when you aren't paying attention
3. Relax and know that in today's world, technology is so great, and docs are so well equipped, nothing will happen.

It doesn't hurt, it doesn't burn (at least for me it didnt), the worst part of it all is what you make of it in your head. :) Good luck and you will see later on that your worry was for no reason at all.
Most Active