Too much protein?

MBMom
on 9/5/12 10:11 am
RNY on 09/17/12
I'm on the pre-op diet and supposed to have 1 shake for breakfast, 1 for lunch and a 4 oz meat/small veggie for dinner and one snack during the day.

So far I have had:

40g protein in a shake
40g protein in isopure drink
13g protein in a power crunch bar....

93 grams

Is that okay? 

artroxy blue
on 9/5/12 10:17 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Yes, it's fine. Some days, I was up to 140g pre-op. 
H.A.L.A B.
on 9/5/12 10:19 am
well... I don't think it is a problem, since who knows how many proteins you can drink in first few weeks after WLS.
Some of the proteins the body will use for energy - for calories - and protein byproduct maybe really hard on kidneys - that's why it is important that you drink a lot of water.

For preop - I was advise to drink 15 - up to 20 gr of proteins per shake, 4-5 times a day + small meal. Drinking small proteins shakes every few hours kept the hunger away.  And I was drinking water or non-caloric drinks in between.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

wendydettmer
on 9/5/12 10:40 am - Rochester, NY
Preop for me personally that was too much. I kept within the recommendations of 1/2 gram per pound of ideal body weight. But post op, it's different because of malabsorption issues.

now, 93 grams isn't going to be devastating, but I am personally a believer in too much of a good thing is still too much. I'm trying to find my 'sweet spot' of how much protein I need for good levels, without going over. I know I am in the minority with this viewpoint though.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/5/12 10:52 am
I also believe in moderation. But before WLS or any other surgery - it may be a good idea for some people to "load up on proteins".  Good proteins levels allow faster healing and recovery  - and from my own experience - drinking sakes and eating anything post op - first few weeks was a challenge.
I started with 60-80 gr proteins a day.  Then every blood work - my docs asked me to increase the daily proteins due to low normal blood levels. The farther from the WLS - the more proteins I need to take to maintain mid normal protein levels.  I guess initially my body used some fat and my own muscles (source of proteins) but as I lost the weight - and had to limit my carbs - the proteins are used for energy and for repair.

Be prepared to do the same as you losing weight. Though some people can mainatin very good protein levels on rather low - or normal protein intake.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

cajungirl
on 9/5/12 12:16 pm
I agree.  I've loaded up on protein for surgeries and do believe it's help significantly with post-surgery healing/recovery.

I also have noticed a decline in protein levels on my labs when I slack on the amount I consume.  Also find I have much more energy when my protein intake is higher.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

wendydettmer
on 9/5/12 12:59 pm - Rochester, NY
 Yeah, I've had to up my protein levels because my numbers are dropping.  I had my labs drawn 2 months ago and I go again tomorrow for more.  I had up'ed my protein and hope it makes a difference.

you make a good point about uping to prepare for surgery.  

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

cajungirl
on 9/5/12 12:17 pm
Yes you should be fine.  Now if you have kidney problems which too much protein could cause you issues then you should consult with your medical team on your intake.

Getting in higher protein helps with healing and recovery. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Cleopatra_Nik
on 9/5/12 1:05 pm - Baltimore, MD
I personally don't believe so. My (four year) post-op diet includes about 120g protein a day. At the height of being a protein zealot, I got about 170g a day (and looked like She-Hulk, lol!).

While I didn't experience any problems at the time, I am not sure if sustaining high levels of protein on such low calories is good for the kidneys. Especially since I'm not always so diligent about my water intake.

Your mileage may vary.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

(deactivated member)
on 9/5/12 7:25 am, edited 9/5/12 7:25 am
My NUT suggested 80-120g of protein a day and the 80 was just minimal. If you're exercising, especially any kind of weight training, you really want to be on the 120 end.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 449 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 405 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 337 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 337 views