Intestinal Bacterial Infection - need input

OH2012
on 9/14/12 5:17 pm - OH
It could be Campylobacter fetus. Has there been any chicken that could have been cooked a little longer?
This is serious, so I hope that it isn't this.

Best wishes.
allys
on 9/14/12 6:39 pm
Hi MochaPJ! I was diagnosed with c-diff almost a month ago and did a 14day course of Vancocin. Mine was apparently a severe case but I didn't have any loss of bowel control. Bad diarrhea for those 2 weeks but with pain meds and probiotics, I'm on the other side of things (consti-ahem-pation).

In my case, c-diff is one of at least two problems I'm having (cannot eat or drink without pain, so I'm on liquids/mush since this started). Btw, a stool sample is the only definitive way to test for c-diff. It's very difficult to get rid of and these awful symptoms could go on for 1-2months even after antibiotics.

They're doing a second endoscopy on me in 2 weeks to see if they can find the secondary issue. So far, they've seen "erosion at the gastroesphogeal junction" in the first endoscopy.

I think they did Vancocin for me because of the severity of the infection - they said they were nervous my colon may rupture or my bowel may perforate. Joy.

All the best to you!
Susan2012
on 9/14/12 6:46 pm
 I had acute diverticulitis a few weeks ago and they put me on flagyl and cipro. I had severe diarrhea and bloating and gas. I took 1 Imodium a day and it slowed it down but I started taking culturelle probiotic and in 24 hours all those symptoms were gone.

rbb825
on 9/14/12 9:46 pm - Suffern, NY
It definitely sounds like C Difficile and you will need to take Flagyl which is no problem for us.  It is very strong and follow all the instructions and never miss a pill.  Also, ABSOLULTELY NO ALCOHOL - it  will make you vomit.

I was tested a few times for this but came back negative. 

good luck

MochaPJ
on 9/15/12 6:28 am - CA
BTW, I really ought to change my username. I was so paranoid about having the surgery I didn't want to divulge my real name. Mocha is my German Shepherd's name. I'm Laurie.

I am being tested for campylobacter as well, but I really don't think that's it. I don't have most of those symptoms.

Dave - I can't imagine what your poor wife went through in 28 years! I hope she has her health back now. What an awful existence!

As I suspected, Friday came and went with no test result, so it's another weekend of the same thing. Sigh. Monday I should hear something. Oh, and to the person who mentioned no alcohol on Flagyl, yes, I've read that. I will admit to an occasional glass of wine, but the last thing I want to do is go from misery out one end to vomiting out the other end.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I have been hoping that this really had nothing to do with my RNY, but I think I'm going to have to accept the fact that this is a weak point for me. I will never stop taking probiotics again.

MochaPJ
on 9/15/12 7:03 am - CA
I forgot to give you the best (most idiotic) details!!! When my diarrhea started becoming chronic, my husband said I could take his prescription anti-diarrheal. So I took it twice a day for a week with no improvement. The reason I had no improvement is because I was actually taking an anti-inflammatory called Etodolac! I tore up my insides even further!!

Most Active
Recent Topics