The positives of RNY!

Kenyatta W.
on 1/5/13 1:56 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 01/07/13
Hey Mal!!! Great post! This post gives me hope to what I can look forward to. I'm having surgery this Monday so my anxiety level is through the roof especially seeing the threads of people posting not so good things about Rny. Thanks so much!!! =)

Kenyatta
Mal
on 1/5/13 2:51 am

Good luck with your upcoming surgery on Monday!  How very exciting!  Try not to get too anxious and do nice little things for yourself (a nice mani/pedi but no nail polish, bubble bath, some nice smelling lotions, a nice new favorite candle) or distract yourself with a favorite activity or even busy housework to keep your mind off of the anxiety. 

Once you get what I like to call 'the special juice' the anesthesiologist generally gives you just before you go into the operating room, you will be plenty relaxed!!! 

Good luck honey!

M'Lane

siamsa1
on 1/5/13 3:38 am
RNY on 07/17/12

This is such a great thread that I just had to chime in.  Since my surgery on July 17, 2012 I have lost a total of 102 pounds but a total of 163 pounds between pre-op and post-op weight loss.  That in and of itself is a HUGE milestone for me.  Some of my accomplishments:

1.  I am off my medication for high blood pressure and diabetes.

2.  I can do cardio workouts comfortably now whereas before after 5 minutes I thought I was going to have a heart attack.

3.  I sleep so much more sounder than I ever did at my highest weight (466 lbs.).

4.  I can fit comfortably into any chair that I have sat in.

5.  I can cross my legs for the first time in 20 years!

6.  I'm still in plus size clothes but it is no longer a 34/36 or 5x/6x.  I am in the 22/24 or 2x range.  Shopping is more fun than it used to be. 

7.  I don't have to buy my clothes exclusively from a catalog anymore.

8.  I an put the steering wheel all the way down and still have room to move in the car.

9.  I can walk around the grocery store now and not have to lean on the cart due to being winded or having severe back pain.

10.  My knees no longer sound like a bowl of Rice Krispies whenever I walk.  Oh, and they don't hurt anymore either!

11. I made it through the fall without my normal round of bronchitis or an upper respiratory infection.  I'm told that losing a significant amount of weight also improves your immune system. 

12.  My feet don't hurt all the time anymore.

13.  I have started wearing heels for the first time since I was a teenager.  I'm 6'2 and don't need heels but man oh man it feels so good to be able to wear shoes that are cute and not just comfortable!

I'm still on my journey and have quite a way to go.  The way I look at it, if I have accomplished this much already I can't wait to see what I can do once I reach goal!!!  Congrats everyone else and all of your accomplishments as well. 

Jennifer

Mal
on 1/5/13 1:49 pm

6'2" how incredibly awesome!!  I am 6' myself (my fiance is 6'2") and I wear heels all the time!  The higher the better!  You go girl!

M'Lane

Zeigled
on 1/5/13 5:22 am - Parkton, MD

Nice post....I eliminated all my co-morbidities too....

Some odd things I noticed....I can jump without my feet feeling like I broke every bone in them.  I jumped out of the back of the truck the other day and there was no pain.  The shower curtain doesn't stick to me during a shower.  I can maneuver in the car...that is if I need to reach something in the back seat, I can turn around and actually get to it.  Before I had to stop - get out, open the back door, reach and get back in.  I am a cleaning fool now - in the house and in the yard.  I have a huge amount of energy now.

Some of my kitties....I do a fair amount of rescue and these are some those that no one else wanted.....

HW 357 SW 341   

Lori F.
on 1/5/13 10:28 pm - St. Clair Shores, MI
RNY on 12/27/12

Great post!  And I love your kitties - especially Nala's extra toes!  I have a kitty with extra toes too.  She has 8 toes on one foot and 7 on the other ;)

Follow me @ www.bariatrickitchen.com  My Progress, Recipes and Things I learn along the way
HW: 375   ​SW: 342  GW:  140  HT: 5'7"