Alcoholism

cajungirl
on 12/16/13 4:44 am
On December 16, 2013 at 12:20 PM Pacific Time, poet_kelly wrote:

There was a study a while back that found 10% of RNY patients were alcoholics, but 7% of them had been alcoholics before they had WLS. So only 3% developed alcoholism after surgery.  I don't think that is such a huge number.  I do drin****asionally.  I think I've had four drinks since my RNY five years ago.  I don't think it's likely I am going to suddenly become an alcoholic.

Kelly, I there is a clinical trial going on now (results to be complete in October 2014) on the Effect of Alcohol after Bariatric Surgery. 

This trial seems somewhat flawed in the criteria to be in the trial though.  You can read the criteria here http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01843257

How recent is the study you are referring to?  I did read those numbers before but couldn't locate the study.  I'm curious if any other information is available since we've seen more surgeries in numbers the past couple of years.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

poet_kelly
on 12/16/13 4:47 am - OH

It seems like the study I'm thinking of wasn't too long ago.  A year, maybe?

I think maybe people that are addicted to food pre op might be more likely to become addicted to alcohol or something else post op, but I haven't seen any type of study on that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cunning_Pam
on 12/16/13 4:52 am
RNY on 12/18/13

The idea of replacing a food addiction with an alcohol addiction does make sense. If someone has an addictive personality, I can understand how they might fill the hole left by taking away a food addiction with alcohol.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

cajungirl
on 12/16/13 4:59 am
On December 16, 2013 at 12:52 PM Pacific Time, Cunning_Pam wrote:

The idea of replacing a food addiction with an alcohol addiction does make sense. If someone has an addictive personality, I can understand how they might fill the hole left by taking away a food addiction with alcohol.

Pam I agree I believe this is part of the equation.  I also believe the rapid "feel good" related to the quick absorption of alcohol and the quick lose of the buzz compared to a non-altered anatomy makes "us" want to have another drink and experience that buzz.  Before "we" (general) realize it that buzz today becomes a buzz tomorrow and the next day then it's a daily "habit" which creates a need instead of a want, eventually.

I also believe some people believe it will never happen to them.  None of us are exempt, JMHO.  Ask those that are dealing with it post-op.  I bet the majority thought it would never happen to them.  I very dear friend of mine dealing with alcoholism said she knew this could potentially be a problem but she basically excluded that as a possibility FOR HER prior to surgery.

Kelly S.
on 12/16/13 10:38 am

Very true, just scares the heck out of me how many I meet these days.

20 pounds lost during two week pre-op diet.

cajungirl
on 12/16/13 4:23 am

It happens more often then people think.  I'm sorry you are dealing with this, find an AA group local to you.  Addiction is real.

I haven't had problems with alcohol, I rarely drink and know my limits (usually 1/2 glass of wine and it hits hard).  Coming from a family that deals with alcoholism I know how it can affect a family.

pathchic
on 12/16/13 5:06 am - FL
RNY on 08/07/13

We all have self-destructive tendencies - or else we wouldn't be where we are now. I can see how this could translate into alcoholism, or drug abuse, or any of the other innumerable ways we use to sabotage ourselves.  Sending healing thoughts your way...

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/16/13 5:10 am, edited 12/16/13 5:12 am

Too much alcohol before RNY made me sick. I could drink 1 glass of wine - 1 drink - maybe every 2 hrs.  ANy more than that- and I would end up sick - really sick.  That made me not want any.. 

Post op RNY -  I can drink a whole bottle of wine and feel fine the next day.   I want to drink more than 1 glass of wine.  But like with crappy food -  Now I have to be very careful and can't have that in the house.  Now some foods make  me sick - if I eat too much or too fast. Alcohol - I like it too much. I never thought this would be my issue.   

For new people - never say "never"... 

I delt with hernias, and some abdominal pain for long time - I could eat dense proteins if I had wine with it.  If I did not - I would end up in pain... 

My friend - post op RNY - deals with a lot of food allergies and pain issues, cramps.  Lots of stress at work. ... Many days she can't eat much - but she can drink wine... . Not cool - I know - but I think she is at a point that she does not care much.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

cajungirl
on 12/16/13 5:37 am

Be careful what you say..... never say never, gone forever.....those are fighting words around here

I agree with you Hala, the first couple of years isn't an indication of what's to come, just like regain, maintenance and such.  Some days I feel like banging my head against a wall.  I know, shut up Dana it's just so damn frustrating to see people believe they have it all wrapped up in a pretty package and have conquered the world.  cool

danslillady
on 12/16/13 5:12 am

Most of us didn't get obese, MO or SMO because our relationships with food were healthy.  I had lots of therapy before I decided to have the surgery.  Now, I know my triggers and I am able to have emotions.  Prior to all this surgery, I would eat or stuff my emotions.  It sounds crazy but in 30 years I had never even expressed anger.  I wasn't able to identify what I was feeling at any given time.  If I felt bad, I ate: thats it thats all.  It took me about 3 years to completely recover from this kind of behavior.  Still to this day, I have to be very mindful of my thoughts.  Much of what I let bother me wasn't even real.  So, I can "see" how drinking can become a problem for some post WLS.  If one used to use food as a coping mechanism for stresses and hasn't put into place new habits for dealing with stressors post WLS, one would need to find an alternative way of coping once food is not an option...

To the OP, I'm very sorry you are dealing with alcoholism.  I hope you can find it in yourself to get the help you need.

HW: 274 SW: 241  CW: 149 --- 5'6 (Surgery date 11/26/2013)

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 465 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 440 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views