abortion

Mary Catherine
on 1/28/14 5:17 pm

I was born in 1948 into an Irish Catholic family. Among my relatives that are lots of priests, nuns, a few bishops and one cardinal. 

When I was growing up, single people were told they were going to hell if they had sex.  When my brother got his girlfriend pregnant, in 1968,  my mother said she was grateful that at least they were not practicing birth control.

Married people were told they were going to hell for practicing birth control, unless it was the rhythm method.  Having an abortion was also punishable by hellfire.  Priests would refuse to give a woman communion if it was known that she was taking the pill. 

I remember attending one anti-abortion rally where we were told abortion was murder and that the mothers who committed that type of murder should be tried and executed by the state.  Other anti-abortion people advocated finding and executing the doctors who performed the abortions.

I feel that the anti-abortion people should fight for fool-proof birth control.  I don't believe that any woman sets out to get pregnant so that they can have an abortion.  An abortion is a tragedy for the mother and for the baby. It is not the best choice, but often it is the wisest choice.

A true anti-abortion movement would offer to pay all of the expenses involved in keeping and raising the child to adulthood.  Not adoption, but sending a check every month for groceries, education, clothing, housing and medical. If a person cannot afford and/or is not willing to support the mother and child for the next eighteen years, then they cannot afford to tell the mother what to do with her body.

birdiegirl
on 1/28/14 7:14 pm

I also love what your mother said re she was happy that at least they were not using birth control.......( from another 60's catholic girl)

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/29/14 5:15 am

"A true anti-abortion movement would offer to pay all of the expenses involved in keeping and raising the child to adulthood.  Not adoption, but sending a check every month for groceries, education, clothing, housing and medical. If a person cannot afford and/or is not willing to support the mother and child for the next eighteen years, then they cannot afford to tell the mother what to do with her body."

Hey you stole my line...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

blopez579
on 2/6/14 1:08 am
RNY on 09/11/13

Thank you for that very thoughtful post.  It makes me think about my very old, deep, painful, barely fading scars a little differently.

trinoc
on 1/28/14 7:23 pm - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

Was stopping in to offer support but I see you have so much of it here.  Good luck and take care of yourself in the next few weeks!  Like everyone said, make sure the doctor is aware of the meds you can and can't take because afterward you will be way too groggy to know what they're prescribing.  Watch yourself closely for signs of infection.  And never feel apologetic for a legal decision you made that is right for you, your family, and your body.

Peace! 

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

ladygodiva1228
on 1/28/14 9:04 pm - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

OP I would just let the doctor know that you (or whom ever it is in case it is not you) have had the RNY.  There should not be any issues, but there are a couple of pills  that you have take to get the process started so I don't know if having the RNY would affect them or not.  Best of luck to you. :)

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/29/14 5:14 am

HUGS. The only thing I would be a concern is a potential blood loss during the procedure.  Also - you may let them know that any drinks with sugar (they sometimes give you drinks during the recovery after any procedure) )  can not contain sugar - even natural sugar - like fruit juices... Even if you are not a dumper now - you don't want to find out that during stress yo actually can dump on sugars. 

Take care. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 1/29/14 11:59 pm
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 311 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 328 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 282 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 447 views