Alcohol

selhard
on 8/30/15 10:31 pm, edited 8/31/15 2:56 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Where I went for WLS, the lecture on avoiding alcohol was intense due to one of their patients who died from consuming too much alcohol early post-op. Yes, you're not talking excessive amounts of booze--only wine with dinner, but I'm thinking the word "crave" might send up a little flag of wonder. I avoid wine because it makes my face and neck turn bright red and it makes words come out of my mouth better left unsaid.  Transfer addiction is suppose to be a fairly easy thing to happen; an exception might be when trying to make housecleaning a transfer-addiction-of-choice; it's not sticking as well as I hoped. 

(deactivated member)
on 8/31/15 6:46 am

Last week or the week before I posted about a friend who had RNY. Well she started drinking from the start of her weight-loss journey. 

Every time I would see her out she would be downing Coronas and eating all of the crap. She also was a nurse. She has a daughter who is about to graduate high school this year. 

She won't be there because she died due to alcohol. She went to work one day and she had been drinking this was at like 6 in the morning. Went to the bathroom fell wacked her head and she died. Now people look at her due to having the surgery. It was alcohol that killed her.

I am not getting a soap box I know some people can handle a glass of wine here and there. I am a food addict and I know if I kept on drinking I would be going to AA soon. 

Right now your body needs to heal. You had surgery a month ago. So take care of yourself.

newchris1
on 8/31/15 12:59 am, edited 8/31/15 1:02 am
with

My surgeon and nutritionist allowed be to have alcohol at week 5.  I used to drink red wine but it didn't appeal to me so this weekend (at week 5) I had 2 glasses of white wine 2 hours after dinner.  Both glasses of wine were over a full glass of ice and I sipped so that it took me literally 4 hours to drink both glasses  (8 p.m. until midnight).  It was nice to have a glass of wine with my husband in the evening.  I did not get drunk.  Not even close. I did not get sick.  I did not dump.  I did not vomit.  Maybe it has something to do with previous alcohol use.  I liked to drink quite a bit of red wine.  Those days are gone, but I have to tell you it was a nice treat.  Wont' go back to daily glasses of wine, but for me on a Saturday night, it was a nice pleasure.  It probably help that I poured it over a full glass of ice.  Not the way to drink wine, but we have to adapt to our new way of life.

Deanna798
on 8/31/15 8:05 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I signed a contract with my Surgeon. One of the provisions for my surgery is that I'll never drink alcohol again.  I'm not a big drinker,  so no big deal.  

Honest,  I'll probably have a drink at some point in my future,  but it won't be for a very long time.   

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 241 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 302 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views