NOT an over eater BUT an under eater

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/12/15 8:28 pm, edited 11/12/15 9:35 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

On November 12, 2015 at 7:29 PM Pacific Time, aldade wrote:

"The eating 1 time a day puts my body into starvation mode.....so even though most of my meals were basic and healthy....because I didnt eat regularly, my body stored everything I ate since it didn't know when it's next meal would be. I have been largely whole life and when I was younger once a day worked for me,....now that I'm 35, I have to change  everything I have previously done.  I also use MyFitnessPal to count calories and I was VERY honest about what I was eating, including the days I occasionally had 2 scoops of ice cream."

That's exactly why so many Jews in concentration camps were obese: starvation mode. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 11/16/15 10:43 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

So, there are only 2 options - you are mistaken and you are eating more calories than you think

OR - your metabolism is so suppressed by years of dieting that you need to get it out of starvation mode. 

RNY will help your body lower its set point - the natural weight it wants to be - and your metabolism my speed up a little bit.  Yes, you will need to keep your body out of starvation mode, but you know that.

This video talks more about the metabolic impact.  He was not my doctor, but I think he may give you the info you are looking for.

http://drmatthewweiner.com/what-really-causes-weight-gain-an d-weight-loss/

Sharon

Roma
on 11/12/15 2:03 pm
RNY on 06/15/15
Ladytazz
on 11/12/15 10:24 pm

I wouldn't bother with WLS.  It won't do a thing for you.  WLS is for people who eat too much and eat the wrong things.  It won't work for under eaters.

The only thing I can think is that you don't eat much but you drink regular soda and milkshakes all day.  Unless you are a medical odditiy you get fat by overeating.  Unless you are honest with yourself then WLS won't help you.  If you can't admit that you take in more calories then you consume then you must be one of those rare people for whom the air they breath turns into calories and causes their weight problem.

Seriously, you may be fooling yourself but you aren't fooling anyone else.  No one qualifies for WLS because they didn't eat enough.  

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

aldade
on 11/13/15 5:53 am

Thank you for your opinion,....it may be honest in your book/view but is coming across little brutal and rude.  I am very honest with what I eat and the amounts that I eat....and whether you believe it or not is not why I was seeking advice.  An NO...I don't drink soda at all nor milkshakes....WLS is NOT only for those that eat too much or eat the wrong things,...ADDITIONALLY there are MANY reasons for people to gain weight and are obese.  My goal is to NOT fool anyone, let alone myself considering I am the 1 who has to live with my decisions and choices.  SO, please don't judge or be rude because you don't understand or agree with my particular medical issues that lead to advice seeking help on this site!

Deanna798
on 11/13/15 6:19 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I think the whole point is that WLS is all about restriction of calories.  If you are not eating too many calories,  the surgery will not work for you.  

I hope you have success. 

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/13/15 8:13 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Look, you are writing with a bunch of people who have all been there... I used to log in MyFitnessPal before surgery -- even thought I was honest.  I was eating A LOT.  I also lamented that I didn't eat very much -- ate once a day, etc.  

Truth is this: you aren't a medical mystery.  Yes, this is blunt.  You know why?  Because it is utterly impossible to gain weight or to become obese without eating more than you expend.  We cannot change the laws of physics.  

It isn't rude to be honest and truthful.  

My point about concentration camp victims still stands.  If people became obese from eating too little/starvation mode -- why were there NO obese concentration camp survivors?  

If you don't need to eat less -- then surgery will not help you.  

Good luck.

Sincerely, 

A person who insisted that she ate very little but lost 200 lbs once she started eating less than 800 calories a day.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Grim_Traveller
on 11/13/15 9:15 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm with you 100% Kat.

I knew I ate a lot before surgery. But it turned out not to be just a lot, it was lots and lots and lots.

Unless you weigh every single thing that goes in your mouth, you will always eat more than you think. That goes for every one of us. Some of us lie to ourselves about how much we eat. But all of us are terrible, terrible estimators. 

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Grim_Traveller
on 11/14/15 2:45 am
RNY on 08/21/12
On November 13, 2015 at 1:53 PM Pacific Time, aldade wrote:

Thank you for your opinion,....it may be honest in your book/view but is coming across little brutal and rude.  I am very honest with what I eat and the amounts that I eat....and whether you believe it or not is not why I was seeking advice.  An NO...I don't drink soda at all nor milkshakes....WLS is NOT only for those that eat too much or eat the wrong things,...ADDITIONALLY there are MANY reasons for people to gain weight and are obese.  My goal is to NOT fool anyone, let alone myself considering I am the 1 who has to live with my decisions and choices.  SO, please don't judge or be rude because you don't understand or agree with my particular medical issues that lead to advice seeking help on this site!

You are partly correct. There are MANY ways for people to gain weight. A little weight. But there is only ONE way to become obese -- eat way too much food. You can eat way too much over a short span of months, or a little too much every day for many years. But too much food is the only path to obesity.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Kathyjs
on 11/13/15 8:15 am

You don't become obese by under eating. Exercise problem. Water walk at a gym or the Y. Behavioral therapist , nutritionalist a MUST. I used to make excuses too so I understand but get help before the surgery . Keep a food log

Most Active