Question about ongoing insurance coverage for RNY complications

pammieanne
on 11/16/16 7:53 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

I had never even thought of this.

Thanks for this thought though, because I'm interested to see what other's have to say about this. I would have just considered it a medical deal, no matter if they covered the original WLS or not. I hope I am right, but clearly there are so many aspects to this I never even thought about!

And Hoping, for you, that the best job comes through with an offer!! Good Luck!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

(deactivated member)
on 11/16/16 8:32 am
RNY on 09/22/16

An understanding physician and staff (I do nurse stuff :) )can code just about anything as non WLS if they are so inclined. You just need to have an honest and up front discussion with them about your insurance and what it covers and excludes. My insurance does not cover any WLS at all but a lot of my pre operative work was covered under different coding. For example, my sleep apnea was coded as sleep apnea due to my symptoms of being tired all the time and multiple times I awaken at night. My surgeon found 3 different hernia so pre-op was covered by my hernia repair, etc.

An ulcer is an ulcer, your insurance does not even know that it could possibly be related to wls unless it is coded that way. Blood work should be done annually for everyone so that shouldn't be a problem either. When you see you surgeon for follow ups it could be for GERD (or any other problem you are having.

Hope that helps,

Ceci

Most Active
Recent Topics