Coconut milk? Sugar?

MarinaGirl
on 2/20/18 6:45 am

Your observation is incorrect; not sure what you're reading so I'd say it is a comprehension issue on your side. I eat FULL FAT and am below goal weight. I am not "at a good forty lbs higher set point" but am at a low BMI so gaining weight for me would be fine. And your statement about bariatric nutritionists is also false. We need to call you out as you tout a lot of bad info on OH, which shouldn't be believed or followed.

Stitch83
on 2/25/18 9:57 pm
RNY on 02/26/18

And thanks all...I plan to eat fat too...I mean I'm not going to order a burger and fries but I think healthy fat is good! The body needs it to work.

HW: 285 SW: 260 CW: 134 Dr. Grantcharov, St. Michael's

Referral: May 2017 Orientation: June 5/17 Nurse: Aug. 17/17 Doctor/Dietician/SW finished by Dec. 11/17 Surgical Ed. Class: Dec. 18/17 Surgeon: Jan. 9/18 Surgery: February 26, 2018!!

Stitch83
on 2/25/18 9:55 pm
RNY on 02/26/18

Thanks for the reply. What are butter buds?

Referral: May 2017 Orientation: June 5/17 Nurse: Aug. 17/17 Doctor/Dietician/SW finished by Dec. 11/17 Surgical Ed. Class: Dec. 18/17 Surgeon: Jan. 9/18 Surgery: February 26, 2018!!

(deactivated member)
on 2/26/18 3:42 pm

Butter buds are freeze dried real butter solids ... they give you the genuine taste of butter without the fat .

theyre hard to find - so when you can my advice is to buy a carton.

(deactivated member)
on 2/20/18 7:11 am, edited 2/19/18 11:16 pm

I?m NOT saying that you have to eat extremely low fat post op to get to goal weight and in order to stay there . (But it sure HELPS if you choose low fat /fat free options consistently)

You cant refute that common sense applied to the following facts we all know to be true -

1) bariatric surgery is designed to only take off 50% of our excess weight

2) most bariatric surgery patients experience creeping regain after the lowest weight reached in the ? honeymoon period?. For many this regain equals most or all of what they lost after having bariatric surgery. Most of those *****gain everything admit t hey did caused it by choosing to eat fast foods and fatty foods.

For MOST post bariatric patients ANY regain is very troublesome, hard to get rid of and presents a lifelong persistent problem.

3) we were blessed with a surgery that allowed our bodies to metabolize unwanted fat ...

therefore my conclusion is

4) If we choose to EAT fat , we will stop our bodies using our fat reserves as energy

others may not agree with me- in my opinion ( based on years of observation of my own body and other posters and friends post-WLS weight struggles ) however a person with empty fat cells begging to be refilled ( and pumping out ghrelin and extra estrogen just to remain in the body ) does NOT have the same metabolism as a lean person with very few excess fat cells.

The person with no excess weight history or empty fat cells can successfully burn fat calories - I honestly don?t think we ex bariatric patients, particularly women who have slower metabolisms naturally, can .

What happens when you stop exercising and limiting calories? If you gain... your?e choosing

the wrong food plan in my opinion.

We all deserve menu flexibility and a body that doesnt gain weight at the drop of a hat ( or a binge, or because we experienced a sports injury)

ScottAndrews
on 2/20/18 12:40 pm
RNY on 03/20/17

I can eat some things with sugar but generally not with liquids. Honey and maple syrup has put me in a RH tailspin so I pretty much avoid those. Sugar free maple syrup is my go to sweetner or just splenda.

10 grams of sugar per serving is the limit my nutritionist set but thats more a guideline not a rule.

Stitch83
on 2/25/18 9:59 pm
RNY on 02/26/18

Ah! Good to know...it's all they little things to keep track of that are so unknown for me...liquid vs solids who would have thought.

i appreciate the number guideline too, at least it's somewhere to start.

The Salty Hag
on 2/20/18 1:24 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

The yogurt is fine. I ate the same yogurt from the very beginning and it's never caused me problems. Some of the sugar comes from the milk itself, so you're good to go on that front.

I would avoid using any sugar in recipes at all...ever. I use Swerve or Sukrin-they are brands of an erythritol/stevia combo sugar substitute. The erythritol is a sugar alcohol, and may cause tummy troubles. YMMV. If something calls for honey, I'd just leave it out or find another recipe if the honey is crucial.

I would caution you to avoid as many added sugars as you can after surgery. It's getting easier to discern those pesky added sugars thanks to the updated nutrition labels on foods. I'd also be careful with sugar alcohols. Maltitol is the one that is is most sugar free candy or other baked goods from the grocery store. It's also the most likely to cause you all sorts of gastrointestinal distress. For me, sorbitol is also a doozy, as is xylitol. ( Xylitol is also dangerous for doggies. )

Like so many others here, I don't really limit my fat intake. (It's not like I'm drinking melted butter or anything.) Coconut milk should be fine for you down the road. I prefer So Delicious Culinary Coconut milk. (Milk out of cans kind of freaks me out...haha.)

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Queen JB
on 2/20/18 2:23 pm
RNY on 07/20/15

Mmmmmm melted butter... ;)

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

The Salty Hag
on 2/20/18 4:37 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty