When were you able to tolerate raw veggies?

Miss Liss
on 1/31/19 7:28 am

It was close to 6 months for me. I could do cooked veggies fine, but raw just didn't sit well. I'm 15 years out from surgery this month, and I still struggle with some raw veggies like broccoli and cauliflower. Iceberg lettuce is a big no-no for me too still. I love salad and I eat it quite often. I just use romaine, spinach and some mixed greens to make it.

Julia S.
on 2/1/19 8:51 am - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 02/12/18

I too am lactose intolerant but I can eat Greek yogurt and hard cheeses as they have no lactose in them. I would never make my protein totals without the yogurt. My favorite salad is spring mix with cherry tomatoes, sliced baby carrots and crumbled goat cheese with no-fat balsamic vinaigrette. I could eat it at about 6 months but everyone is different. Listen to your body. I still have things that don't sit well and cause me nausea. It's all about seeing what works for you.

5'5" Age 66 HW 291 SW 275.8 CW 179.8

KTM
on 2/1/19 11:12 am

Julia, do you have to take Lactose pills with your Greek yogurt? I had to before surgery so I was reluctant to even try it now. I was scared to see how LI symptoms would work with a new, still healing pouch. I ate Greek yogurt 5 days a week w/ my lunches at work & even though it has less lactose than regular yogurt, it still bothered me so I would take the pills to offset it.

The only lactose free yogurt I've found that's even edible is Yoplait vanilla which is ok, just kind of bland & thin & I don't know if it has active cultures. I think I'll try going back to my Greek & see what happens.

Thanks for your advice.

Ruth D.
on 2/4/19 12:00 pm
RNY on 12/20/18

I feel you so much... the day after surgery my mind was craving some crispy, heakthy juicy salad So in my first post op I aske dietologist and she said I can try to taste it after 6-7 weeks if I meat my protein bybthat time, also peal them and chop and chew like crazy. She said to start with the softest part of veggies, for example if you'll eat tomato don't eat the shin at first. Try one at the time and leave hard fiberous veggies for later time.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 430 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 386 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 311 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 428 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 311 views